Day 31: Tours to Ste. Maure - Grampies Cross Europe Germany to Spain Fall 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2023

Day 31: Tours to Ste. Maure

Heart 0 Comment 0

Although "Les Halles" in Paris was a famous covered market, until demolished in 1973, "Les Halles" as a term does not refer to that market but rather is a generic term for a covered market. Les Halles of Tours has been there for 150 years, and unlike Paris, is still there. Not only is Les Halles of Tours there, but it was across the street from our hotel!

Les Halles, Tours
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel is across the street!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We did a short cruise up and down each aisle of Les Halles. The food on display was wonderful. Of course there was much cheese, and many colourful fish, and poultry looking very "natural". One category that was all over but which I did not get a good grip on was cold prepared food. I can't even describe what I am talking about, except for this one photo I did take:

Cold prepared food--these in the photo are not pastries, but what - open faced sandwiches?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNot any with nice chewy crust?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThese are more like works of art. For a good chewy crust you need a baguette sandwich. Delicious and filling, great for a cycling lunch..
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Oh the cheese! Was everywhere.

Heart 3 Comment 0
These baguettes are way superior to the common ones.
Heart 2 Comment 0
and the breads!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the seeded baguette we bought - pictured later, out in the countryside. It was so amazingly good, I will remember it for a long time!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenOh yum! It looks amazing.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Colourful fish
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fish counter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here you have "blue" chicken, and also guinea fowl (pintade).
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went for the abricot this time. They had clearly been made in a wood oven. Oh my!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This cash payment machine is rather cool. You put your money (bills or coins) in, and it delivers the change. Unless you had exact change, it feels like you won at a slot machine.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We dragged ourselves out of Les Halles and set out to jump from Tours to Ste Maure, on our way soon to Poitiers. We briefly passed our "old haunts" of the Tours medieval section, and noticed the facade below. It's a 15th century gateway to a church treasury building. Just sitting there still today.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now it was back past the Hotel de Ville and down that long parisian type street to the river, where this time we turned differently.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Trolley looks very modern.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Birds in the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Birds on a wire
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a very typical representation of our roads today, except there seemed to be a lot of up and down. The track only shows moderate climbing, we admit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The entrance to Chateau de Comacre. We didn't see the building, but a stock shot is below. What we did learn was that it was greatly damaged by fire just last week.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rolled into Ste Maure and due to one way streets or something, did not get a real view of the town (yet) but just landed at our BnB. It's in an 18th century house and we are on the top floor. Our stairs are just like in a church tower!

Heart 4 Comment 0
And the old beamed structure is really atmospheric.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And best of all, the wifi is fast!

One thing about Ste Maure, it gives its name to a goat cheese that is made in this region (Touraine). It takes the form of a log. " It is white and soft under a greyish moldy rind and is rolled in wood ash. It has a straw through its centre, marked by the AOC seal and a number indicating the producer. The straw is used, in the making, to keep the roll together." In principle, we don't like goat cheese - tastes too goaty - but tomorrow if we get a chance, we'll give it a try!

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,698 km (1,054 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0