Having Doubts About the Vaccine - Pandemic Purgatory - CycleBlaze

February 5, 2021

Having Doubts About the Vaccine

As time goes on I'm beginning to question whether this vaccine is doing any good. 

It has been a little over a month since getting fully vaccinated and most people haven't even got their first dose yet.   It remains a mystery why I was selected for the first 0.1% of people to get the doses, but it doesn't really matter because the vaccine records aren't of much interest to anybody.  They are far more interested in negative covid tests.  Of course you could argue that with a vaccine you have an almost guaranteed chance of getting a negative test result.  But then why would people still want you to get tested for covid if the vaccine was effective?  Follow the logic?  Spoiler alert:  it must be not effective.

As time went on there was more and more evidence to suggest that the vaccine was in fact useless.  I still have to wear a mask and get temperature checks done everywhere, show travel history checks, and of course there is a quarantine if I travel internationally.  Even a domestic trip like this I'm technically "not allowed" to be doing it and people are constantly afraid of resurgences.  But wait, shouldn't a vaccine protect against covid and negate the need for these protocols?  The fact that nobody else trusts the vaccine by not asking for proof of it suggests that this whole thing might be a big scam that I fell for.  

And what about this supposed mass vaccination drive to the public?  Indications are the current round of travel restrictions will last until March 31, so it seems they are either dragging their feet on purpose, or perhaps the vaccine is just a bunch of theatre to ease people's mental health and make it look like something is being done to stop covid.

If the officials are so adamant about lockdowns and testing, why are they not hyping up the vaccine with the same urgency?  Put another way, what exactly is the vaccine supposed to achieve?  

[Update November 2020]  At first there was some partial immunity generated.  Other countries instituted vaccine mandates while China never did.  They stuck to lockdowns and testing.  By around mid-2022 most everyone figured out you're better off just getting covid and letting the whole thing rip, well except China that is. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetI'm stuck here in BC where the public health advisories ask you not to travel outside your region. Meanwhile the news in Canada is mostly about how the promised vaccine deliveries aren't happening. Canadian orders are getting shorted or postponed every week. So sad that there's no vaccine manufacturing facility in this country (any more).

I'm getting geared up for some BC bikepacking this summer since anything easily accessible will be busy busy busy. Indoor activities are very limited (no group fitness classes for sure; prebook your hour at a gym to work out by yourself with a limited number of others in the room, from whom you must maintain 2 m distance) and everybody in Greater Vancouver, it seems, is trying to get outside.

I am so looking forward to the end of this pandemic and the return of normal life.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Fit SteveTo Jacquie GaudetThat's frustrating news about the slow pace of the vaccine rollout? What is Canada or BC doing about it to try and secure more doses? Sounds like the governments there would rather focus their efforts on restrictions and lockdowns instead of working overtime to find ways to get more doses
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Fit SteveI get that there are logistical issues with the vaccine orders, but that isn't an excuse for inaction, the governments need to work harder and smarter to find supply chains
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Fit SteveThere's not a lot Canada can do when the supplier says, "sorry, nothing for you this week." And the other supplier says the same.

The distribution plans seem reasonable, with those most at risk (seniors in care homes, older residents of remote communities) being first, then the general population (including us) in the third phase and broken down by age.

There have been a few cases of queue jumpers, though, including these entitled people from Vancouver: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-couple-vaccination-1.5889269
Reply to this comment
3 years ago