Day 5 - Catawba Island and Marblehead loop - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2024

Day 5 - Catawba Island and Marblehead loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was warm!  It was sunny!  Happy days are here again!  (Actually, a happy day is here again.  There are no more warm, sunny days forecast in the immediate future.)

We had a good ride today.  First, we rode up to the north end of Catawba Island.  

Nice homes lined the lakefront
Heart 1 Comment 0
There weren't many views of open water from the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I would love to tell you that this house was on East Cliff Road, but it wasn't. East Cliff Road was a couple of miles north - but should this place not have an honorary Cliff Road address?
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were several new developments with big marinas and big houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making the most of the lakefront view. All the lawns were a lush green.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry decided to route us through the Catawba Island State Park but missed the part about the route being a dirt road with a barricade at the end. Luckily the barricade was just a length of chain across the trail - I just lifted it up and Kerry rolled the bike underneath.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More lakefront homes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some people working in their yard across the street called this structure a "folly". Some developer wanted to pretend it was the ruins of an old lakefront building, but it's phony. We saw another one later that looked like the same thing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One more little glitch. This one was easier to traverse than the dirt path and chain at the state park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We rode by several peach orchards on Catawba Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second part of our ride today took us out to Marblehead.

Downtown Marblehead. I expect its much busier in season.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like Florida - wherever seniors gather...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great Lakers freighter loading
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry said to call this picture "feeding the freighter". There is a Holcim limestone mine near our home in Citrus County.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the Marblehead Lighthouse.  The lighthouse and all the buildings were closed, but we enjoyed walking around the grounds. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had an enjoyable visit with this very nice couple, Pat and Larry.  They were interested in hearing about Two Far.

Pat and Larry from Lucas, OH. I hope we didn't talk their ears off!
Heart 1 Comment 0

A view across the mouth of Sandusky Bay to Cedar Point

Cedar Point is the second oldest continuously operating amusement park in the USA, opening in 1870. It is best known for its roller coasters.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The final ten miles of the ride were into a brisk headwind, but not as strong as the one from two days ago.  We'll see what tomorrow brings - likely chilly and wet.

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 134 miles (216 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0