Day 3 - Port Clinton to (almost) Oak Harbor loop - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2024

Day 3 - Port Clinton to (almost) Oak Harbor loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm a bit embarrassed to write today's journal entry.  It was 59 degrees with a 15 mph wind from the east this morning and the weather was just not calling us to ride.  It was telling us that we had a warm, cozy hotel room we should be enjoying.  But we said we were here to ride and we ride we were going to do.  About noon, we set out on a short 20 mile loop to the northwest.  

Just down the street from our hotel is the renovated and relocated 1896 lighthouse.  As has been par for the course on our tour so far, it was closed.

Lake Erie is just across the street from where we are staying.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The 1896 lighthouse
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lighthouse history
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice memorial to the former lighthouse keepers
Heart 6 Comment 0

We were feeling pretty good at this point.  It really wasn't chilly and the wind was behind us.  We rode across a drawbridge and out a little lakefront peninsula. 

The boats at this marina bear witness to the fact that the summer season had not yet started here!
Heart 1 Comment 0

 After we had ridden 6 miles with a wonderful tailwind, Kerry said he really didn't want to ride out to our turn around point and have to face 10 miles back into the wind.  So we turned around there and worked hard enough getting back that we didn't feel very guilty about riding only 12 miles.  It was cool coming back at the drawbridge when the tender, who had just sounded the whistle, came out and motioned for us to go on across before he opened the bridge.  We've had cars wait for us, but I think this was the first boat.

We stopped for smoked fish at a seafood market and some lunch and dinner food at a deli and were back in our room by 2:30. And that's my mildly embarrassing story of our 12 mile day.  

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 97 miles (156 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Keith A. SpanglerVeterans that’s what I call it! Smoked fish!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. Spanglerin the words of the great Harry Callahan, "A man’s got to know his limitations" :-)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Karen PoretGlad you rode and decided to enjoy the “let’s call it a day”…
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Curt & Helene ReedAfter 3 long days of driving and 2 good days of riding, I think you were entitled to rest.. You can also sleep in in a.m. and go out when it is warmer
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Alain AbbateThat's the advantage of a loop, it's exactly as long as you want it to be.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Rose SamsonIt seems to be an Okay day for you. No rain, just "cool" weather with some wind. I like smoke fish specially smoke salmon fish. Yummy!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateYes! I am going to really like this hub town plan.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedThe problem is that we have cooler and windier days coming up. I think we're going to have to toughen up and just ride!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe got some smoked salmon at the market. It was very good.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Karen PoretIt was nice to reward ourselves with a short day, even if it was only the third day of the tour!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago