Day 1 - Elyria to Bellevue - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2024

Day 1 - Elyria to Bellevue

Heart 0 Comment 0

We started the Courthouse Tour today.  It has been two years since we rode the Seavo fully loaded.  It was heavy!  I had forgotten what it was like to carry so much weight.  Fortunately, the terrain in northern Ohio is relatively flat (thank you glaciers!) so it wasn't too challenging. 

Kerry got courthouse number 1 for his list in downtown Elyria.   Keeping a summary of all the county courthouses is going to be Kerry's contribution to this year's journal and can be found on "The Courthouses" page.  I'll also post a picture of each one in the daily journal.

There is a very nice courthouse square in Elyria.

This is one of the images that defines Americana, I think.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old Lorain County Courthouse faces the square
Heart 4 Comment 0

Most of the route was on the North Coast Inland Trail, a rail-trail in northern Ohio that is still under development.  It is paved for much of its length.  We decided to skip the unpaved sections and ride on nearby roads.  We're not crazy about stone/gravel/dirt trails and there was rain in the forecast.  Well paved roads made for much more pleasant riding.

We didn't see very many other cyclists or walkers/runners. It was not a "bright, bright, bright, bright sunshiny day"
Heart 2 Comment 0

The trailhead in Oberlin is one of the nicest was saw on the trail.  Clean restrooms and sheltered picnic tables are always welcome finds.

The trailhead was built adjacent to this round building. I thought it was probably some type of old railroad facility.  There is no information at the trailhead, so Google helped us out.  I was wrong.

Oberlin Gasholder Building was constructed in 1889 for the purpose of storing manufactured coal gas to produce light and heat in Oberlin. There is a project underway to convert it to an Underground Railroad Center, cognizing Oberlin's place in operation of the Underground Railroad.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Just past the trailhead is the Oberlin Depot.  It was locked, so all we know is that it is a restored historic train station.

Restored historic railroad station
Heart 2 Comment 0

You can't have a Two Far journal without old barns and farm animals.

An attractive old barn
Heart 4 Comment 0
Perhaps a resident of the barn?
Heart 5 Comment 0

Always space in the journal for some cows

A dairy barn maybe? (What do you think, Cathy?)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's second courthouse was the Huron County Courthouse in Norwalk.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We arrived in Bellevue around 3:30. The rain never came, just occasional misty droplets.  It was a good first day on tour.  

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 49 miles (79 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonYou’re on the road! And I see that you almost exactly followed the same route we took in reverse three years ago, from Clyde to Oberlin.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jacques CharronHi 👋 Jeanna & Karry “Forever Young”
On this first day; we wish you a Great bike ride and Touring the courthouses visits 2024
Cheers!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonI know you completely understand how good it feels to get on the road after months of planning. Now we need to get our bodies as ready to ride as our brains!
We were a little disappointed in the North Coast Inland Trail. There was really nothing to see and so many unpaved and on road sections, it would have been easier to just stay on the main road the whole way.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jacques CharronThanks, Jacques and Lise. I don't know about forever young, but as long as bike touring is more fun than staying home, we'll be on the road.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago