Day 128 - Westfield to Erie - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2022

Day 128 - Westfield to Erie

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another grape day.  We rode past miles and miles of concord grape vineyards.  Most of these grapes are grown for Welch's.

Welch's began in Westfield, NY where we stayed last night.  We rode into downtown for breakfast.  We had an excellent breakfast at the Full Strength Coffee Company.  On the way out of town, we passed the old Welch's headquarters building, no longer in use.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We also passed a Welch's plant currently in operation.

Heart 0 Comment 0

View of Lake Erie across the vineyard

Heart 0 Comment 0

Grape harvesting underway

Heart 0 Comment 0

Something that isn't grapes!  A pole display of outboard motors.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA good idea to this pole of outboard motors: Decorate these with Christmas Lights and it will really make
people smile! The trees behind makes it beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

About 15 miles into today's route, we entered Pennsylvania.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at two wineries today.  (Actually, we stopped at three, but one of them was shut down and for sale.)

The first winery was Mazza.  The wine was pretty good.  We tasted four reds, four whites and one beer among the four of us.  At the end, Dean poured every drop left from all of those glasses into one and he and Kerry drank it.  Sadly, my pictures of this tasting experience didn't come out.

The bikes enjoyed their shady rest spots while we were inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles down the road, we stopped at the Penn Shore Winery.  The entrance is through this arbor.  It is a perfect photo spot.

Jan and Dean
Heart 0 Comment 0
Us
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonNice picture of Jeanna & Kerry at the Concord Grape Vineyard.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We didn't find the wines at Penn Shore to be very good, but the view from the back porch was beautiful.  With the staff's permission, Kerry went out into the vineyard and brought back a cluster of ripe Concord grapes.  They were delicious.

The Penn Shore vineyard. Most of the grapes they grow are Concord grapes, which they sell to Welches.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another view of a vineyard by the lake.

Heart 0 Comment 0

And, we did find a fruit that wasn't grapes growing along the route.  They look ready to harvest, too.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 4,153 miles (6,684 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0