Day 119 - Owen Sound to Collingwood - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2022

Day 119 - Owen Sound to Collingwood

Heart 0 Comment 0

To travel south or east from Owen Sound, it is necessary to climb a long, steep hill.  We did not realize until today that it was the Niagara Escarpment.

This is how we ascend a 12% grade. (I'm not too lazy to help, but Kerry, with his long stride, finds it easier to push without me.)
Heart 2 Comment 4
Scott AndersonI can’t let Rachael see this. She’ll want us to get a tandem too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierThat’s how we climb the steep ones, too. Easier on the knees.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonI've considered asking him to push the bike with me on it, but I doubt that would go over very well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierKerry says walking the steep ones keeps from putting too much stress on the chain. I like to believe that is the reason we do it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

As we were riding up, we started hearing running water.  There were small waterfalls coming down the rocks.

Roadside waterfall
Heart 2 Comment 0

There were soon signs for "Inglis Falls".  We decided to stop and check it out.  We parked the bike at the bottom of the entrance drive and walked the short, steep hill up to the parking lot.   A young attendant there said there was a charge for parking, but none for pedestrians or cyclists.  Another win for bikes!

The falls were gorgeous.  Other than the paved parking area, there was no development other than some wooden and concrete walkways.

Inglis Falls
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonBeautiful Falls! I wander if people are allowed to go up those big stones or the concrete walkways?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The top of the falls
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left the falls and rode on to our next stop, the Grey County Museum and Moreston Historical Village.

On the way, we noticed this interesting barn architecture.  The corn was too tall for me to get an image of the lower levels.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The Grey County Museum was the 3rd county museum we've visited on our ride through Ontario.  As with the Huron and Bruce County museums, the emphasis was on the local life and industry.  For Grey County, there were well done exhibits on the lumber, furniture, printing, limestone mining and apple industries. 

While the printing and furniture industries in Grey County no longer exist, the apple industry is thriving.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 To continue my plan just to post pictures of things we haven't seen before, here's something we don't remember having seen.

Do you know what this is? Information about it is below.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Another game for you to identify.  This one was in the 1920's farmhouse in the village.  The guide told us these were homemade with parts ordered from a catalog.  The emphasis in the 1920's area was on the changes in lifestyles possible in rural Ontario with the advent of mail order catalogs.

Name the game
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTable croquet?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonCorrect answer!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The village had a garage with this beautiful old automobile.

A 1948 Mercery Monarch, made in Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0

We thought this piece was the most amazing and moving thing in the museum.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we left the museum, we had a 20-mile ride through rural countryside with no towns.  There were plenty of up and down hills to keep us from getting bored!

We are just starting to see some fall colors (or colours, since we are in Canada).
Heart 1 Comment 0

We reached another bayfront town at the end of those 20 miles.  This is Meaford, ON.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a Dairy Queen lunch, we got on the Georgian Trail for a blissfully flat final 20 miles to Collingwood.  The trail ran near the shore, but we had only a few glimpses of the bay.

A nice flat rail trail
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trail had a good crushed limestone surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail ran right beside the highway, and we alternated between the two depending on the traffic and highway shoulder.

It was a long day with our various stops and after 5:00 when we arrived in Collingwood.  We stopped at a grocery store across the street from the hotel for some provisions and while we were getting ready to leave, a guy walked up to talk.  We didn't get his name, but we really enjoyed meeting him.  So, retired teacher with cycling brother-in-law, it was fun talking with you and we hope you enjoy the blog.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 3,823 miles (6,153 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0