Day 66 - Gering to Torrington - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2021

Day 66 - Gering to Torrington

Wyoming!

We decided to get an early start today to stay ahead of the hottest temperatures.  Our "early start" turned into 9:00, but the ride was good and not too hot.  We're going to do better tomorrow!

We had a view of the north side of Scotts Bluff on our way out of town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We also rode by a golf course. It's the first one I remember seeing for quite a while.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the small town of Mitchell, pop 1700.  It had an attractive "downtown".

City Hall and the Fire Department. There was a modern fire department nearby, so we think this one was not operational.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The library
Heart 1 Comment 0
Town businesses
Heart 1 Comment 0
We didn't explore enough to find out exactly what this building was.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town theater - still in business (for Kelly Iniguez)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cool old trucks
Heart 1 Comment 0

 In Nebraska, we crossed the "Tri State Canal" several times.  It was completely dry every place we saw it.  We guessed that "Tri State" referred to Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming.  We were wrong.  Tri State is the name of the company that developed the canal.  A brief Google search did not return any information on its current status.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have reached Wyoming!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Inspired by the settlers who came before us, Kerry says "onward".
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are closely following the pioneer settlers' route.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is really pretty cool!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Historical markers told the story of one of the many failed treaties between the US Government and Native Americans.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've read a lot about Lewis and Clark, but we had never heard of Astorians.  We've also been to Astoria, Oregon (great town) and I never knew it was named for John Astor.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived in Torrington early, just past 12:30.  It was already in the mid 90's and we were happy to be almost to our nice cool hotel.  As we turned to ride the last 1/2 mile, the train bells rang, the lights flashed and the crossing arms descended.  Great, we thought, now we'll sit here in this heat for one of those 1 1/2 mile long western trains. 

Soon the train came into sight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And soon it drove out of sight.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sometimes small things can make you so happy!

Kerry here...  This logo was on an engine repair shop next to our motel.  The artist was certainly not a gearhead!!

Update... I have been corrected by a couple of friends and, in fact, the artist is a gearhead and knew exactly what he was painting (Ford Flathead V8) and I'm a bonehead!!.

V6 or V8 - you decide :-)
Heart 2 Comment 2
Michael and Diane RuddockI think that the artwork depicts a flathead V8, probably a Ford, which was a valve-in-block design and had a siamesed exhaust port for the center two cylinders on each side of the "V".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockI'll be damned! My apologies to the artist. Obviously, I'm the one that's not a gearhead!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 2,554 miles (4,110 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0