Day 56 - Oberlin to McCook - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2021

Day 56 - Oberlin to McCook

And here I thought the high plains were flat. Our net elevation for the day was -7 ft, but it sure was a bumpy profile. We worked hard to lose 7 feet!!
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was hilly and warm, but we didn't get to enjoy the tailwind The Weather Channel predicted.  We had a benign headwind most of the day.  The route was only 30 miles, but there was enough climbing that we got our workout.   It was another day with no stores along the way.  We miss Diet Coke, tables and chairs and bathrooms, not necessarily in that order!

There was an excellent museum in Oberlin we almost missed.  Kerry found it on Google Maps last night.  The Decatur County Museum is located in downtown Oberlin, which has beautiful old brick streets.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The museum is a collection of 15 buildings, 13 of which were original structures moved to the site from the area.

The first building was an in-town home, with furnishing from the early 20th century.

One of the most beautiful pieces was the Wooton Desk.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the outside of one of the doors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a photograph of the desk in use.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Information about the Wooton Desk
Heart 1 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedI wish I had a desk like that, maybe Kerry could help me make one
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

There was a large display of period clothing.

Dress worn by local woman to Teddy Roosevelt's inauguration.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I really liked this Flapper dress. I'm not sure I liked the hat as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another interesting fur coat - this one is buffalo.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is beautiful; hard to image the animal it came from.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

For my quilting friends - a quilt made by a 10 year old girl.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWhat a beautiful Quilt made by the 10 yr. old girl!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose SamsonWhat a beautiful Quilt made by the 10 yr. old girl!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

In the general store, I took some pictures of products you may remember from your grandparents' houses.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry here... My Grandfather smoked Granger pipe tobacco. Seeing the can brought back some fond memories.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Inside Oberlin's first service station, opened in 1934, we found this bike.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is amazingly nice!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

The one room schoolhouse operated here until 1961.

Schoolroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
A desk very much like this one caused significant discomfort to a left handed student in 1963. I was told all year that there were no left handed desks. It's still a strong memory after almost 60 years. Anyone else have this experience?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerWhen my father started school, he was told that he would have to change from his left hand to his right. What you're showing is a good example for the reason behind that decision. My father never stuttered until he converted. (THAT' MY STORY, AND I'M STICKING TO IT)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Now we've moved into the 1950's.  I was a little too young for this.  Did any of you ever have your feet measured for shoes this way?

"Scientific" shoe fitting
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis kind of shoe fitting is interesting! The old folks must have comfortable shoes that last longer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Proper shoe fitting chart
Heart 1 Comment 0

This stuff I do remember.  We had air raid drills at my elementary school in the early 60's.  Did any of your families have a fallout shelter?

Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we got through the "town" part of the museum, we moved out to the prairie.

Unlike the one at a previous museum, this is an authentic stage coach.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a sod cutter pulled by a horse or other animal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Innovations in wheat farming on the prairie - 

A grain drill planter
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
An implement for planting wheat between rows of corn
Heart 2 Comment 0
I couldn't figure out what this was until I found the card that had fallen down behind it. It's a vermin proof canister set for the prairie kitchen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I think that is salt and pepper shakers, or maybe some other spices, inside the little front door
Heart 1 Comment 0
I tried to make out the name on the front, but I couldn't read all the letters.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Alain AbbateMaybe Home Economizer???
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This is what I found behind it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The latest in cooking efficiency - cooking with gas.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Every kitchen needs one.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we left the museum, we rode back to the hotel to pickup our panniers and start the day's ride.

Mailbox at Decatur County Beef, a large feedlot just north of Oberlin. As we rode by, they were loading future McDonald's hamburgers into the trucks in the background. Not shown, there were 2 cowboys on horses herding cattle into the loading pens.
Heart 2 Comment 0

From the hotel, it was 13 miles to the Kansas-Nebraska border.

We hope we will!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nebraska has provided a wide shoulder on US 83. It was great to have our own space again.
Heart 4 Comment 0

So far, Nebraska is not as flat as Kansas.  We didn't see any oil wells or wind turbines.  The land is more undulating than it was farther south.

Nebraska high plains
Heart 2 Comment 0
And, across the road, more Nebraska high plains
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're taking a day off tomorrow.  We need to do some route planning because we've decided not to count on the Canadian border opening next month.  We're going to route the rest of this tour through the US.  We'll have to wait to see our Canadian friends in Florida this winter.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 2,261 miles (3,639 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mike ObermeyerLoved all the museums pictures. Brought back a lot of memories.
THANKS
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThe miles keep piling up....so happy for you both.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacques CharronAlways interesting stories!
Sorry to see that you’re not coming to Canada this year…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago