Day 123 - Henry to Pontiac - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2021

Day 123 - Henry to Pontiac

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had to wait out a little rain left over from last night's storms this morning.  By 9AM, it was clearing and we were good to go.  It remained very cloudy all day, but we didn't get any rain.  However, it was WINDY all day.  The winds were out of the southwest, so when we were riding east, we got a nice quartering tailwind, but riding south was tough and slow.

The bridge across the Illinois River was easy to manage.  I think we had only one vehicle back.  The driver waited patiently until he could pass safely.  Our first challenge today was a steep climb up from the river.

It was about half a mile UP!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kerry decided to walk the bike at the bottom of the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
He didn't want my help pushing it up, so I walked up and waited for him at the top.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNice photo Jeanna
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It is so much easier to walk up a shorter steep hill from the bottom than to pedal until your legs are jelly, then get off and try to push.  

I didn't take many pictures again today.  We rode by lots of farms, as usual, and no livestock at all.  These were two really nice farmhouses.

This is just a very pretty house, I think.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis farmhouse is lovely. The paint combination is "cool"!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I didn't get a clear enough picture to read the Koch Farms sign.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Front view of the Koch Farms house
Heart 1 Comment 0

And one not so nice house...

I'd love to go in and explore some of these places, but it's probably not safe or even legal.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerImagine the images inside them.....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

At one stop, we got into a long conversation with this woman who is an avid cyclist and also spent some of her career working in Inverness, FL.  We had a great time talking rides and trails and touring.  She is a leader of the Starved Rock Bicycle Club in Ottawa, IL

Kerry with Dixie, long time sustainer of the Starved Rock Cycling Association.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I found two photo worthy old barns today.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Old-time corn crib.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An old silo
Heart 1 Comment 0

At our last stop, I saw this big vine growing in the trees along the fence.  It was full of dark orange trumpet shaped flowers.

This seems like something I should know, but I can't think of it's name.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltTrumpet vine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campsis_radicans
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Here's a close up of the flower. It was so windy, I had to hold it still to take the picture.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltHummingbirds love them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose SamsonBeautiful flower! The color is attractive to birds.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It was another chore night - laundry and bike maintenance.  Kerry rotated the tires and is going to tension the timing chain later.  Bike touring is not all fun and games!

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKerry you ate the master! I rember you helping with my tire.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 4,614 miles (7,426 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Dave CardarellaWhat tires are you riding on? Have you replaced them on this tour?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Dave CardarellaDave,
The tires are Schwalbe Marathon Mondials in 700x42. I couldn't find that size in the U.S., so I ordered them from Germany. This was my 3rd rotation with this set, and at 4600 miles, there's still lots of tread left. I figure that they'll be good for another two thousand miles or so. FYI, The tires cost $38.90 each from Starbike.com, but the shipping ($38.00) cost as much as one of the tires :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago