Day 43 Bemidji, MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2018

Day 43 Bemidji, MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We achieved one of the major goals of our trip today - walking across the Mississippi River.  We got up this morning and walked a little bit around Itasca State Park before riding up to the Mississippi headwaters.

The view from our screened porch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lady slipper orchids along one of the walking trails
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning view of Lake Itasca
Heart 0 Comment 0
This boat takes visitors on a tour of the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the headwaters, we got to wade across the Mississippi River and even make a human bridge across the river.  

Most people, I think, visit this park to visit the headwaters, but the park itself is very beautiful with old growth trees saved from lumbering in the early 1900's when the park was established.

Team A crossing the mighty Mississippi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Braving the rapids
Heart 0 Comment 0
We even got Kerry in the water!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving the park, we had a short 30 mile ride to Bemidji.  We passed this entrance to "Broken Spoke Blvd".

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch in the tiny village of Becida.  It was just starting to sprinkle, so we put the rain covers on our panniers before we ate.  When we finished eating, there were dark clouds around, but no rain.  That lasted until the last two miles, when the no rain became moderate rain.  The sky had looked really ominous for the last hour and we felt lucky to get only a little rain and not get caught in a big thunderstorm.   

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 2,018 miles (3,248 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0