Day 20 Plymouth to Gatesville - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2016

Day 20 Plymouth to Gatesville

Today we shared the road with many fast moving trucks, but all the drivers were courteous and gave us plenty of room. North Carolina continued to provide us with good, smooth pavement and wide shoulders in many places.

We left our motel in Plymouth and rode through the old part of town on the Roanoke River waterfront. There is a riverwalk with a replica of a Civil War ironclad ram and a Civil War battlefield.

Roanoke River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swimming on the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ironclad replica Roanoke River Plymouth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plymouth Civil War battlefield
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Plymouth, we rode north on NC 45 and discovered North Carolina's new crop being grown to replace tobacco. Attractive and fragrant fields of sage ranged for miles.

Sage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sage
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made our first fire station stop today - a welcome find after miles of no convenience stores. There were two old guys in the Merry Hill-Midway fire station who kindly allowed us to use their bathroom. We asked if they worked there, but they said no, it was just the place where the local retired guys hung out. They were the only two today, but sometimes they have a crowd of a dozen.

Hanging out at the fire station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Merry Hill-Midway fire station
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch was at the Winton Corner Café. It was good, but the owner/manager actually fussed at Viktoriya because she got the wrong sandwich and chose to go ahead and eat it without complaining. This woman was annoyed because they had to make a new sandwich for the other customer and let us know how she felt. It's not a place we'd come back to if we're ever in Winton, NC again!

Winton's Corner Cafe
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our home for tonight is a very nice two bedroom house in Gatesville. There is no restaurant in this little town, so dinner was spaghetti and canned chili from Dollar General. It was pretty good and Alain took over the pasta cooking so I wouldn't overcook it, so all I did was mix tomatoes with green chilies with the chili and heat it in the microwave. It's as close to cooking as I need to come on this trip.

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 1,175 miles (1,891 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0