Day 12 Monck's Corner to Conway - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2016

Day 12 Monck's Corner to Conway

Today was our longest planned ride of the summer - over 88 miles -and the hottest day so far. It was in the upper 90's when we arrived at our hotel around 3PM. By 5PM, Weather Underground was reporting a temperature of 100 degrees. I made good use of my new "leg sleeves" and they really did keep me cooler.

Trying to keep cool
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw some corn fields, some tobacco fields and miles of piney woods.

South Carolina piney woods
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tobacco fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santee River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did ride on some of South Carolina's well known bad roads and dealt with the evil rumble strips for miles. The South Carolina drivers continued to be good about sharing the road and we had no problems with other vehicles. We have a lot of fun at rest stops telling people about our trip. They usually ask us how far and how long and when we show them the map on the back of our jerseys, the most common reaction is open-mouthed disbelief - "You're doing what??" Some are sure we're crazy, but almost everyone sincerely wishes us well when we leave and warns us about "other drivers" who are not as careful are they are.

Tomorrow is a rest day. We plan NOT to get up at 5AM, NOT to pedal a bicycle and definitely TO make good use of air conditioning!

Today's ride: 88 miles (142 km)
Total: 795 miles (1,279 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0