Day 79: Summerside, PEI to Mill River, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2017

Day 79: Summerside, PEI to Mill River, PEI

We enjoyed our day in Summerside and now it was time to move on. It was another day of mostly agricultural views. We rode through miles of potato fields, as we have done most days on PEI. Potato crops are often rotated with grains. We saw this field of some very bright yellow plants. Kerry stopped at produce stand across the street and asked what it was. The woman said she thought it was canola.

We saw large fields of this bright yellow plant. A woman at the local produce stand said it was canola.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our only tourist stop today was at the Canada Potato Museum in O'Leary. They had displays and artifacts about the history of potato cultivation around the world and on Prince Edward Island. PEI has some math to justify it's claim to "Potato Capital of the World".

How PEI can claim to the "Potato Capital of the World".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another reason to honor President Jefferson - French fries!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The museum also had some old buildings and local artifacts. There was a large medical display with items from area doctors' offices and the former hospital. Iron lungs are one of the medical devices that always make me cringe. It's hard to imagine being confined to that.

Can you imagine having to be in this to stay alive?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tonight we're staying at the Mill River Resort. It's a complex on the Mill River with a hotel, a campground, an "Aquaplex", tennis courts and a golf course. We walked around and checked it out after we got here.

Flowers at hotel entrance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flower bed at Mill River Resort. Can you see what the rocks represent?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mill River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will make it to the far west tip of the island and claim our "Tip to Tip" certificate before spending the night in Tignish.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 3,203 miles (5,155 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0