Day 64: Liverpool, NS to Lunenburg, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2017

Day 64: Liverpool, NS to Lunenburg, NS

It was raining this morning when we woke up, as predicted, but looked like the rain might lessen later on. We got a noon checkout time and had a big breakfast and a lazy morning. It was looking better by 11AM, so we got ready and got on the road a little after 11:30. We had a couple of light sprinkles and one short shower in the first ten miles, then it quit raining until the very end of our ride.

There were almost no stores or restaurants along the route today. We took a short detour to get to the Riverbank General Store and Café in Mill Village. As we pulled in the parking lot, a woman pulled up beside us and said she had seen us in Barrington earlier this week. I guess we stand out on the road.
The Riverbend Café was very nice. The view of the Medway River was pretty.

Riverbank General Store and Café in Mill Village
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were on back roads through little seaside villages and residential areas today. There were a lot of postcard views. (Or, they would have been postcard views if the sun were shining.)

Ocean view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ocean view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ocean view
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also got to cross the LeHave River on a cable ferry. That was fun. We meet a couple celebrating the woman's last day of teaching after a 33 year career. Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!

On the cable ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
She retired today after teaching for 33 years. He built a sailboat. They have plans.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With only 8 miles to go, Kerry asked if I minded adding 4 miles to follow the shoreline of a little peninsula. It was a little chilly, but I was fine with doing it. It turned out to be a pretty 4 miles. It did come with a cost, though... Just as we got into Lunenburg, it started raining pretty hard. Five minutes earlier, we would have arrived dry. The people at the hotel were great and very welcoming. They let us pull the bike right into their offce, which is just outside our room. We got all the wet stuff inside and Kerry dried off the bike, so it wasn't a problem. Our rain covers weren't magic today, put they did their job and kept everything in our panniers dry.

We really like hearing from people we meet along the way. The Acadian couple from yesterday sent us this nice picture.

Robert and Magella Babineau, whom we met yesterday, sent us this nice picture. Cyclists all clean up good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also saw the cyclist from yesterday whose name we still didn't get. I'm going to call him "Black Fly Guy".

Cyclist we met yesterday - I'm sure he cleans up good, too.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow is Canada's 150th birthday. Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian friends. We're staying here in Lunenburg for sightseeing and relaxing.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 2,637 miles (4,244 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0