Day 111: Gatineau, QC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2017

Day 111: Gatineau, QC

We had a very busy rest day today. We started in downtown Ottawa where Pierre dropped us off at the By Ward Market. (No public transportation for guests of the Charrons) We got some good fresh fruit and pastries and set out to explore.

Giant spider outside Ottawa's National Gallery
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked through Major's Hill Park to the Rideau Canal locks and visited the Bytown Museum. We learned about the building of the Rideau Canal and the early history of the city of Ottawa.

Home of the Bytown Museum On the Rideau Canal, it's the oldest stone building in Ottawa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rideau Canal locks at the Ottawa River
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that, we walked over to the Royal Canadian Mint which had an interesting tour. They don't make circulation coins at this old mint any longer, but make pure gold and silver investment and collector coins. They don't allow any pictures on the tour.

When we finished at the mint, we had time for a quick lunch before the next Charron VIP escorted tour to the MosaiCanada exhibit. Jacques and Lise picked us up downtown and took us to this outdoor display which is all living sculptures representing the provinces of Canada. It was a beautiful stroll through the park seeing this living art.

The theme of the exhibit was a trip across Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0
First Nation canoe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacques Cartier's three ships
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Canadian Mountie
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Remembrance poppy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shanghai's gift - dancing dragons
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses sculpted from driftwood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Us not in bike clothes!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then went with Jacques and Lise to Sylvie and Pierre's house for dinner and conversation.

Our hosts, Sylvie and Pierre Charron Thank you for a terrific evening!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sylvie made a delicious dessert - and her oven worked just fine.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a really good time and it was a great day!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0