Rest day - Using our free train tickets - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2015

Rest day

Over the next two full days we visited the library and read the papers, walked up and down the main street many times; walked around many blocks looking at the old 1800s cottages, for example Mott's Cottage (1840); walked along Fisherman's Wharf; walked along the Moyne River looking at the moored boats; watched builders at work; and waving to canoeists on the river; visited the opportunity shops; ate a wonderful dinner at the The Caledonian Inn (1844); visited the bluestone St John's Anglican Church (1856); walked through The Botanical Gardens bordering the Moyne River where we sat and counted the number of tree branches an old tree had and the number of carvings they contained; crossed the Moyne River to Eastern Beach where we tried to say out of the fierce wind as we looked across the white sea horses to the lighthouse on Griffith Island from the grounds of the Surf Club.

Moyne Shire Council Offices (left) & YHA Port Fairy (right)
Heart 0 Comment 0
CBD Port Fairy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caledonian Inn Motel where we ate dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Port Fairy Wharf
Heart 0 Comment 0


We also met many, many interesting people, Julie who had arrived the same day as ourselves had ridden her motorbike from Phillip Island, Victoria where she had attended the Women's International Motorcycle Association's (WIMA) Australia International Rally 2015, Julie was on her way home to Adelaide, South Australia. We also met the newly elected President of WIMA from Sweden who called in for a cuppa and a chat, she had hoped to ride as far as Portland, Victoria but had turned back towards Melbourne because of the windy conditions on The Great Ocean Road. Michael showed her a map and recommended she visit Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve nestled inside a dormant volcano, a beautiful haven for wildlife: koalas, emus, kangaroos, sugar gliders and many species of water birds - black swans.. The reserve is 14 kilometres west of Warrnambool on the Princes Highway. A group of walkers arrived from Western Australia who were on their way home to Queensland; Julie and ourselves spoke to a group of motorcycle riding librarians who were travelling around the area promoting story time etc in local libraries. We watched a tv programme about two New South Wales north coast Australian inventors (a father & son) who are changing the way honey is harvested with out disturbing the hive: and discovered the YHA owners have ordered a new beehive system called “Flow Hive: Honey on Tap Directly From Your Beehive”.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0