Sightseeing in Bamberg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2014

Sightseeing in Bamberg

Fortunately the weather has changed and the temperature has dropped. We are so relieved and feel like we have energy again.
Had breakfast at camp, visited with a group of kayakers who are off on a week's trip on the Main River and now we are heading off on foot to explore Bamberg.
We value taking a tour and visiting museums to learn and appreciate the history and significance of what we are seeing - but for now, we can't resist wandering and soaking in the wonderful architecture, narrow cobbled streets and surprises awaiting us around each corner.
We are also eager to visit some of the renowned breweries in this area - Bamberg and the surrounding region has the highest concentration of breweries in the world - over 70 private breweries. The quality and centuries old traditions of these breweries also contribute to the special nature of their craft. We have heard about the famous beer gardens (Beer Kellars) some of which have incredible views over the area. We think we will be climbing a few hills while we are here.
On that note, we decided to visit the Franconian Brewery Museum occupying the renovated historical vaults of the former Benedictine Abbey on the hill at Michaelsburg. Brewing started here in 1122. The ice cellar was an impressive feature where ice from the Regnitz River was stored to keep beer at the optimal temperature year round.
A special type of beer here is called Rauch Beer (smoked) and the Spezial Kellar (beer garden for the Spezial Brewery) is renowned for this specialty. They pour the beer directly from wooden barrels. The other reason to visit this beer garden (800 seats) is its spectacular view and the outstanding food. So up the hill we went - I had wild deer with cranberries, bread dumplings and salad; Barry had Schauferla (pork) with sauerkraut and potato dumplings - both incredible meals. It was fascinating to watch the hard work of our server. Each beer is served in a crock .5 mug and he carried trays 3 feet wide filled with mugs and food. A real workout.
** A side note about Rauch beer: it is created by kilning the green malt over a beech wood fire. The flavour is distinct, smooth, unusual and most satisfying.
Walking back to camp in the evening through deserted streets was a most satisfying end to an exciting day.

Kayakers were paddling under the bridge next to the town hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every city you visit in Europe seems to have people dressed in gold or silver busking for euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The town hall is beautiful. This image is unique to Bamberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last night opera was performed in the square outside of the Bamberg cathedral. Tonight a rock concert was scheduled. We watched the band during their sound check.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched Tim Bendzko's band doing their sound check.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The New Residence in Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamberg is famous for its beer. Nine breweries operate in Bamberg with many more breweries in the surrounding countryside. One of the most famous beers is smoked beer brewed at the Spezial brewery. It tasted very much like a ham sandwich.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spezial brewery is renowned for its rauchbier (smoked beer) but also for its kellar (outdoor eating area) at the top of a hill with a great view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We ate dinner at the Spezial Kellar - beer in a crockery stein and incredible food. Barry had potato dumplings and knuckle of pork.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view back from the Spezial Kellar to Bamberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresco paintings on the Rathaus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buskers in Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quirky detail with a protruding leg on the fresco painted wall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The protruding leg is half way along the ledge of this wall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This historic crane was used to lift ships out of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the river to the old houses of the fisher's area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0