Colonia del Sacramento - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 3, 2020

Colonia del Sacramento

Now that the panic of not being able to draw money had subsided, we were able to spend today enjoying a bit of tourist-time.  Breakfast at Casa de Theresa is a help-yourself affair with an enormous pile of fruit, various cookies, bread and jam available.  In fact, available throughout the day.  There was a French couple a few years older than us staying there as well so we had a good natter with them over breakfast.  There are two larger suites (although that might be a strong word for the rather humble accommodation) with a smaller room that has not bathroom attached, all stuck in a small but leafy courtyard behind Theresa's house.  A small open-air kitchen and dining area rounds it off.

We headed down to the old town to visit the various sights marked on the tourist map.  Colonia is very much a tourist destination and we were pleased to get to the hot spots early.

The Portuguese gates to the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Street of Sighs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lighthouse built in the ruins of a nunnery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ruins of a previous governor's house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quaint colonial street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Ford with a large yellow fish in the driver's seat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we had covered them from numbers one to fourteen we visited a number of the small museums, all included in a very affordable price of $50 UYU per person (about $1.50 US).

After lunch and a short kip we headed back down to the old town again to enjoy the cooler late afternoon.  The temperature has been above thirty degrees for most of the day but a breeze has helped it feel cooler.  Leigh took the time to get better pictures than we could in the harsh light of this morning while I spent my time photographing a few of the birds.

One of the pleasures of changing environments is that the bird-life changes. And Uruguay is very different from Patagonia!

Gilded Hummingbird
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monk Parakeet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brown-chested Martin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rufous-tailed Honero
Heart 0 Comment 0

A couple of drinks and some tapas al fresco at one of the tourist traps rounded off a very pleasant visit to Colonia.  Apart from the initial terror of not being able to draw money, we couldn't have wished for a nicer introduction to a new country.

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 2,005 km (1,245 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Elspeth JarmanHi you two! Just caught up with your travels after returning from our amazing Antarctica trip. We must have missed you by only a few hours as our ship left Ushuaia at 18:00 on 22nd! Hope you have a fantastic time in Uruguay.

Loving your bird photos and you have seen as many species of penguins as we did.

Elsp & Mart
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Elsp,

Your cruise looked so good, in particular the iceberg pictures blew me away.

Uruguay is HOT ! Currently recovering in the Timabe Hotel in Carmelo.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago