Sault Ste. Marie to Sowerby - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2012

Sault Ste. Marie to Sowerby

After a great struggle we escaped the retentive forces of Velorution's campground and got back on the road, using a great route as recommended by Andre, the owner. It kept us off the busy highway for 35 miles, passing through some beautiful countryside, much of which is farmed by Mennonites.

Mennonite horse and cart, seen whilst passing through some beautiful farmland.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great fence!
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got to Bruce Mines, it was not only time for a swim, but time for a swim in a new Great Lake, Lake Huron. Contrary to what Kate is trying to make people believe, she was not first in.

Who's been sitting in MY chair?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kate talks the ears off another local. This one took quite a shine to her...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Suitably cooled off we rode to Thessalon, to carry out some more repairs to Kate's bike, and buy some groceries. And beer. Whilst chatting to some of the locals we were offered space to camp at Chris' cottage, on the shore of Basswood Lake, an offer which we took up instantly, and which turned out to be an excellent decision. We camped next to the creek, and swam in the warm and crystal clear water of the lake. Although Velorution's campground had been a great place, it lacked anywhere to swim, and it was good to be back in the water again.

Great camp spot - with chairs - pure luxury!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 4,718 miles (7,593 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0