Two weeks out - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2023 to August 28, 2023

Two weeks out

Some old photos

Apropos of nothing, here are some shots from the past that have nothing to do with current events or the upcoming tour, or even with one exception with bicycling.  Here’s the exception: a shot of us with Michael and Ciska, in Chania on our ride from there to Albania right after we sold our home five years ago.  We met in transition, with us just beginning our homeless wandering and them nearing the end of their incredible run, a ten year journey that netted them over three million views on CGOAB.

I was reminded of this encounter by Andrea this week, who flashed the bracelet they’d woven that we bought for her on that trip.  If I had been quicker witted (and not driving the Raven at the time), I’d have taken a photo of that wrist and bracelet too.

I couldn’t find any recent update on Ciska and Michael after they ended their journey and returned to Australia in late 2018.  If anyone has more recent news of them we’d be interested in hearing about it.

With Michael Versage and Ciska Keerssemeekers in Chania: April, 2018.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Andrea BrownI still think you all look related.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mark BinghamTo Andrea BrownI was thinking that exact same thing even before I read your comment!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

And this next shot is the result of Greg’s recent loss of his beloved Diggity.  This is the best shot I can find of Shasta, our dog that we euthanized twenty years ago when at the age of 18 she was struggling enough that it felt cruel to keep her with us any longer.

I adopted Shasta in 1976, if I remember right.  She showed up in the parking lot of our office, her teeth affixed to the hem of a coworker’s coat who was trying to shoo her off (Frank: this was Francie Billingsley).  She was just a pup, at most three months old, healthy and apparently well cared for with a bright red collar.  I took her home and put up signs on utility poles in the neighborhood, but when no one claimed her I did so myself.

So many stories from our years with Shasta come to mind, but you don’t need to hear them.  If you’ve ever loved a dog, you understand and have your own stories.

I’m pretty sure this was taken in the winter of 1990, when I took her on a road trip through Southeast Oregon. It’s likely either on the summit of Diablo Mountain above Summer lake, or on Hart Mountain.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Lyle McLeodBeautiful. Eighteen years is a long run. We’ll only have Levi for about 18 months, but it only takes 18 minutes (or less) to form an eternal bond with these loving beasts, as you undoubtedly know.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ron SuchanekWhat a nice looking dog!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jen RahnShe has a great smile!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYes, she did. She was so good natured. We were lucky to have her for so long.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

It took me awhile to find that photograph this afternoon, sifting through a box of old photos in the storage unit.  And of course in doing so I found dozens more I haven’t seen for a few years that brought back memories - as did the box of CD’s I waded through looking for ones to swap in to the set we carry in the Raven on our road trips.  It brought on some nostalgia, and made me think that some year I could be pretty  contented settled down somewhere again, listening to music I haven’t played in a decade and reliving old memories.  Not quite yet though.

As long as I found them though, I pulled out a few favorites I’ve not seen for too long. 

I’m not certain where this grainy photo was taken, or even which dog this is. Best guess is that it’s in 1974, in the farmhouse Carol Jo and I lived in near Salem when we moved down from Seattle not long after adopting Shawn; and that the pup is Dona. My red hat is great of course, but I do miss this one.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekI wish you still had that hat!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Coincidentally I was just talking about this bird with Elizabeth over coffee a few days ago. I biked over to her home in South Salem when we both lived there at the same time for a few years back around 1980, and found her distressed because a flicker had tumbled down their chimney and gotten trapped in her living room.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I think this must be on a hike to Jefferson Park in the mid-90’s sometime with our friend Lynn.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of my favorite photos of Rachael. We’re on a Christmas skiing weekend in Bend, and because ski conditions were poor we took a walk up to the lookout on Lava Butte. The hoarfrost here and at Smith Rocks was spectacular.
Heart 9 Comment 0

Returning to Iberia

We’re leaving for Spain in a few weeks, in case you’ve forgotten.  We really like Spain, apparently - this will be the eighth time one of our tours has taken us there:

1997: Nice to Lisbon

2000: Clermont-Ferrand to San Sebastián

2013: Faro to Granada

2014: Girona to Bilbao

2017: Bilbao to Sete

2019: Santiago to Valencia

2022: Barcelona to Nice.

One of the best aspects of traveling by bicycle of course is that you don’t quickly ‘use up’ countries.  There’s a lot of land in Spain, and if you’re not just taking the blitz tour through Barcelona, Madrid and Granada you can return over and over and keep discivering something new and exceptional.  This time we’re going to traverse that big unexplored section east of Madrid.

Team Anderson in Spain, 1997-2022
Heart 3 Comment 0

New photos

So maybe this wasn’t the most dramatic week of our vagabond lives, but it doesn’t seem right to just leave a black hole here and wonder years from now where we were and where the time went.  Actually, in spite of the enervating heat and smoke we did pretty well and got out for some significant exercise nearly every day.  Here’s a quick rundown:

Tuesday: Troutdale Airport

A 45 mile out and back along the Columbia, breaking for lunch at Chinook Landing on the way back.  By the end it was getting too hot and too hazy, so we weren’t tempted to stop for photos.

The Steel Bridge and the city, at the start of the ride - the clearest part of the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some sort of maintenance project on the Steel Bridge.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Wednesday: Wildwood Trail / Marquam Trail

Another day too hot for either one of us to want to take a bike ride, so we both took walks up into Washington Park.  Rachael walked along the waterfront to the OHSU tram and then climbed up through the Marquand woods, and I walked up through the rose garden to the Wildwood Trail.

The giant sequoia at the corner of Main & St. Clair, a Heritage Tree.
Heart 6 Comment 0
On Main Street.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Andrea BrownAll hail to the crape myrtles, at their peak right now.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
The view down Park Place from the Lewis & Clark Column. The skyscraper is the new luxury Ritz-Carlton Residences, a combined hotel-condominium structure that towers above the city. If we resettle in Portland we’re thinking of snagging one of the penthouses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Rose Garden.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Rose Garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Wildwood Trail: a Japanese Zelkova, planted in 1940.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beneath the Zelkova.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barbara Walker Crossing, the new pedestrian bridge across Burnside.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Thursday: Saint John’s Bridge loop / Skyline

We’re both on our bikes today, but on our own.  Rachael finally steeled her nerves and tackled the West Hills, climbing up to Skyline Drive and dropping down Newberry before continuing out to Sauvie Island to rack up her 45 miles.  

I was less ambitious, but more adventurous.  I only rode 28 miles but I explored Swan Island on my way to the Saint John’s Bridge.  Note to self: don’t bother going down to Swan Island again, which actually isn’t all that cool.  No swans any more, for one thing.

Swan Island is mostly industrial and not a very good bike ride. At the end, you get to lift your bike up these stairs on the climb to Waud’s Bluff. This is the third time I’ve done that, and I think the last.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Actually, biking across Saint Johns Bridge wasn’t that great either. Very busy, so I stayed on the narrow sidewalk the whole way. Better to come in the morning when the traffic isn’t so bad and you can take one of the lanes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view toward Sauvie Island from the Saint Johns Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Friday: Council Crest / Mount Tabor

Another split day: Rachael took a 12 mile hike up to Council Crest, and I took a lazy ride east to Mount Tabor.  Not the most pleasant outing for either of us - too hot, and very smoky.

The smoke-impeded view toward downtown from Mount Tabor.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Saturday: Silverton

Today was the memorial service for Jen’s mother, in the community center at their home down in Silverton.  We drove down there with Bruce and Andrea, but failed to get a group photo of the HAC group because it just didn’t seem fitting under the circumstances.  We’ll try to remember in November, assuming we’re all in town then.

We did at least get a photo of Ron and his beautiful new ride though, so that’s something.

Surly a beautiful ride. Looks like it’s ready for a shot at the Great Divide.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Sunday: Boring

We had a difficult time deciding what to do today, but after throwing out and then throwing out several possibilities we decided to ride out the Springwater to Gresham.  I’m not feeling particularly strong, but it’s an out and back so I can just turn back short if I need to.  Also, there’s the question of how Springwater itself is, and if it feels like a safe ride - something Andrea asked us about yesterday.

It’s a pleasant surprise to find that Springwater feels just fine - plenty of ‘normal’ bike traffic, and the fairly few homeless encampments are relatively tidy and unthreatening.  It’s also a pleasant surprise that I feel fine when we get to Gresham and decide I’d like to continue on to the end of the trail at Boring, forgetting it’s still another five miles off.

But that’s fine too.  I’ll bet we haven’t biked all the way to Boring in five years, and at 49 miles this is our longest ride in quite some time.

In Boring. I’ll have to remember there’s a barber shop at the end of the trail out here.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThere's a Boring in Maryland, too! Blink as you go through and you'll miss it.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

Monday: Wildwood Trail / Elk Island

There’s been a big change in the weather.  Our heat wave looks like it’s passed, and it would be really refreshing out if it weren’t still smoky.  Also, there’s a modest threat of rain so Rachael decides she’d rather take a hike, walking out the Wildwood Trail for her daily baker’s dozen.

I’m still thinking I might stumble across a new bird if I just get to the right location, so I ride down to Oregon City by the old, hillier route we used to take before the Trolley Trail opened about a decade ago.  Before then, we would bike down to Oregon City after work about one day a week, climbing up the bluff south of Milwaukee and then dropping down past River Forest Lake.  Riding an old route like this makes me nostalgic, but even though I pull off to the river at Elk Island and Meldrum Bar there are no new birds to be had.  Disappointing.

The view across the Willamette at Willamette Park. The water level has really dropped since we arrived earlier this summer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view across the Willamette from Elk Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At Elk Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Dr. Seuss plant, Elk Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across the Willamette from Meldrum Bar.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 180 miles (290 km)
Total: 186 miles (299 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ron SuchanekI love the vintage pictures of you guys. And it was so great that you, Rachael and the Brown/Lellmans came down to honor Jen's mom!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jen RahnYes! Thanks for making the trip down to Silverton!

It would be great to connect in November. Keep us posted on possible dates.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago