Tudela - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2023

Tudela

Let’s begin today’s post with the the news from Taiwan, a gripping, almost mythic tale of a battle to the death between a snake and an eagle sent to us by our friend Graham, who knows I like snakes and eagles (and also mail slots).  Don’t fail to watch the video!

Unfortunately I didn’t see the bird myself, so I can’t claim it as my two hundredth bird for the year.  Maybe I’ll still get lucky though and some Spanish snake will truss up an Imperial eagle for my viewing pleasure.

With a longer than usual ride ahead and another hot day in store we get an early start again and miraculously make it out the door before nine on our ride south to Tudela.  Olite has been a rewarding stop, but after three days we’re ready to move on.

Heading south, we pass through the gap of the first small climb on today’s ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The way I’ve mapped it out, it’s almost forty miles to Tudela - an easy, largely flat ride that generally follows the Ebro most of the way.  After two fairly easy climbs at the start, it’s downhill or flat most of the rest of the day.  An easy ride, if not a particularly enjoyable one as at least half of it was on arterial roads that carried more traffic than we’ve been seeing so far, including a significant number of large trucks.  Knowing what I do now, if we rode this stage again I’d stick on the route I’d originally planned that stays on the east side of the river at the expense of a few more hills and some unpaved miles.

Because it wasn’t the most pleasant of days I’ll stick to letting the photos do the talking and save my breath for hopefully more interesting days to come. There were some attractive sights along the way - especially the collection of brilliant murals in Villafranca - but mostly we just just rode, trying to make good time, beat the heat, and avoid getting squished by trucks.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Actually, it was a very pretty ride most of the way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Converging on the Ebro. The cliffs to the right line it’s western bank.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rich FrasierThat's not much of a shoulder, is it?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierA little thin alright, now that you mention it. Fortunately there was little traffic on this stretch and the driver were invariably considerate. No problemo!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Along the Ebro.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dropping toward Villafranca.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This and the following photos were probably my favorites from the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Well done, Villafranca!
Heart 6 Comment 0
The view across the Ebro to Milagro, from Villafranca.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not the finest stage of the tour.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltWhat bird is that?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltFunny. I had the same question when I looked at this photo. I didn’t see it at the time. Probably an imperial eagle.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltFunny how some of our best photos are accidental...

And so many "shoulda" shots are missed by being in the moment. But that's ok too. The moment will never return.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Arguedas, a gateway village into the Bardenas Reales.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We passed several of these flooded flats, making me wonder if they grow rice here. I thought there might be some interesting birdlife too, but they’re only egrets. We’ve seen egrets aplenty this year.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe will be riding through the Ebro delta, I believe, and it is apparently a rice growing region.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI saw that, because in one of the versions of this tour we were going to visit the delta. It’s apparently the principal rice cultivation area of Spain. It’s nothing like that up here though, maybe 200 miles into the interior. These are just a few isolated flooded fields that suggest rice but might be something else.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
An enticing window into the Bardenas Reales reminds me that I hope to make it back out here tomorrow.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Ooh, a buzzard!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Life is a Highway, by Tom Cochrane

We’ve done really well at staying on task, and it’s just turning one when we cross the Ebro and enter Tudela, our home for the next two nights.  We head straight to the central plaza, pick out a table in the shade, and enjoy the Menu del Dia before moving on to our hotel on just the other side of the plaza.  It’s quite hot by now, and we’re happy to just be able to settle into our room to wait out the hottest hours of the day.   Later, not long before sunset, we’ll go out again so we can cool off with some ice cream; and then I continue on alone for a half-hearted exploration of the town that quickly ends in front of a frosted glass that looks more inviting in this heat.  We’ll still be here tomorrow.  I can look around then.

Looking across the Ebro as we enter Tudela. Looks like a great way to spend a hot afternoon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So coordinated! I’m impressed.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsCoordinate or go splash! I suppose.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
In Tudela, looking across the colorful Plaza de Los Fueros, the heart of the city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Plaza de Los Fueros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Plaza de Los Fueros.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Plaza de Los Fueros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Plaza de Los Fueros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Appreciating the Plaza de Los Fueros from a privileged position.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsAnd the ongoing research project continues...
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 38 miles, 800’; for the tour: 746 miles, 21,600’

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 736 miles (1,184 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Janice BranhamSo often it seems we have to choose between gravel and traffic. When we're riding gravel, I'm thinking Welp, at least there aren't any cars. Then on the road I try to appreciate the pavement while the cars whiz by.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago