Rubielos de Mora - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2023

Rubielos de Mora

Today’s ride

We left the door to our spacious balcony open last night to enjoy the fresh air but also to let the room continue airing out from the cleaning agents that Rachael suspects have affected her breathing.  About two hours later I’m awakened by a strange sound that I can’t place for sure until I get up and look out the door.  It’s pouring out, a short but intense outburst that I’m sure is much needed and comes at just the right time - when we’re safe and warm inside.

We’re pretty pleased with ourselves this morning when we look at today’s weather report.  With it still looking chilly and off-and-on wet, an eight mile ride looks like a brilliant program for the day.  And luckily for us it looks like there will be a few hour break in the weather at the perfect time, covering the hour between when we have to check out of our hotel here in Mora at noon and when we can check into our next one in Rubielos at one.

Biking out of Mora, we pass by a pretty arched stone footbridge crossing the Mora River and I’m reminded that there’s a whole side of town I didn’t see or show you yesterday.

The bridge across the small Mora River. Later in the day we’ll see that Rubielos de Mora also is bordered by its own small river, the Rubielos. Hey, brain flash, maybe that’s a clue to the naming of these towns.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I’ll save a little time here and not say much about the ride, because there’s not all that much needing to be said about a 7.56 mile ride other than that there was a modest climb for the first three miles, a modest drop for the remainder, it sprinkled very lightly part of the way, it was chilly, and it was nice that it was just long enough so that we could round up and credit ourselves for eight miles today.  Nice!

The uphill part. Actually, it was a very scenic ride even though short. This is really wonderful cycling country.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A side view to the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view to the right, down into the Mijares River valley. Looks like they might be seeing some sun over that way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Over the top. It’s been a killer, but we did it!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Because it just seemed like I should take a photo of something while I’m up here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Even with the gray and slightly misting sky it’s a dramatic drop off the other side.
Heart 6 Comment 0
I’m just a second too late to catch this guy hitting on my partner. It’s a good thing she can’t speak Aragonese or he might have sweet talked her into coasting off with him.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekYou gotta keep your eye on those Aragoners.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Still dropping. All kidding aside, it’s nice to be over the top because we left the mist behind at the crest of the ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The pines here are different than the black pines we saw further north. I didn’t stop to look closely at any, but from a few large conical cones I saw by the roadside I think they’re maritime pines (Pinus pinaster).
Heart 2 Comment 0
A hillside wreck.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We arrive at our new hotel just at one, and just as we’re losing our weather break.  Excellent timing, but from the looks of the updated forecast we check out while we’re staying warm and dry and enjoying lunch at our hotel, it looks like it might stay wet for the rest of the day.  Not good news for those of you hoping for a good look at this town, but in truth I’m not too inspired by our first look anyway from when we dropped in from above.  It’s pretty flat and featureless seen from about a mile out, with no obvious highlights - the difference between a mountain town and a valley town, I suppose.

Given the situation, we’re very happy to be here at the resort-like Hotel de Montaña Rubielos.  It looks like an excellent place to ride out a wet afternoon - a comfortable room, a restaurant and cafeteria, and there’s even a well-equipped workout room!  I won’t be joining her, but Rocky plans to head down for some exercise later in the afternoon.  But first, a nap.

An hour and a half later though, I wake up, check the forecast and see the situation has changed again.  It now looks like it will stay dry until around sundown, so I wake up partner and we’re both soon out the door, each to explore town in our own way.

The view from our room. I must have gotten this shot at a good moment because it makes it look sunnier than it was.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 8 miles, 800’; for the tour: 1,244 miles, 49,800’

Rachael’s hike

Having a short distance to bike and a break from the rain was perfect for taking a hike.  I headed out toward the hills exploring a myriad of different trails.  It really is a great place for walking and hiking! 

Looking back on the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
El Calvario Hermitage
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I love the beautiful, colorful trees!
Heart 8 Comment 0
I’m glad I wasn’t where the dark clouds were but they sure made for a dramatic sky.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back in town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hey, who is that handsome guy!
Heart 7 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekSean Connery?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith AdamsNo idea, but he's certainly slender and sparing isn't he?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back up into the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was a great trail down to the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
La Laguna
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another great path climbing up closer to the colorful peaks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing up to another lookout.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThat looks incredibly steep! Like, "hands and knees and keep praying all the way" kind of steep.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
At the top of the lookout.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 1,234 miles (1,986 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0