Nájera - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2023

Nájera

Cañas

For the most part we had spectacularly good weather for our first week here, but today is a different matter as there’s rain on tap from mid-morning into early afternoon.  It’s a situation that makes us thankful that today’s ride to Nájera is one of the easier ones of the tour - only 17 miles with minimal climbing, and probably just a normal walking day for the Peregrinos.  I had several longer alternatives mapped out for consideration if conditions were better, but those are quickly scrapped once we wake up and confirm that it really is going to rain.  We’ll try to window our ride around the weather and take the direct route.

We can stay in our current apartment until 11:30, and we can check in the new one in Najera as early as one, so we have a lot of flexibility.  One strategy is to wait here until it’s time to check out and then go find a place in town to hang out until the rain passes on, which looks like should happen in early afternoon.  With such a short ride and sunset at eight we have plenty of time to work with.

At 11 though it looks like a couple of hour gap is opening up if we leave right now and might follow us to Nájera, since that’s the direction the weather is blowing.  So we act quickly and are on the street biking toward the center fifteen minutes later.  Not long after that though we’re sitting under an overhang considering our options because almost as soon as we started biking it started showering.

Let’s take a minute to think about this.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We sit there for a few minutes, note that it’s not really coming down enough to scare us, and decide we might as well ride.  We put our raincoats on for warmth more than anything and start biking east.  Soon afterwards the showers stop and we make it about halfway to Nájera before they start up again and we decide that we should stop at a cafe in the next village just up ahead, Alesanco.

The situation in Alesanco is a repeat of the one in Santo Domingo.  We lean our bikes against the wall under an overhang and take off our panniers before entering the cafe, and then look back at the street.  It’s stopped again.  So we bike on.

About three miles from Nájera the showers begin again and this time they continue until we arrive at our apartment.  There’s no more shelter between here and there so the best we can do is to hide under a tree long enough for me to wrap my walking shoes that are exposed sitting on the back rack.  It never rains hard though, and we aren’t seriously wet when we arrive.  If this is the worst rain that hits us on the tour we’ll feel lucky.

Heading east, dry for the moment.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back at Santo Domingo, and the next wave of rain coming our way. Let’s hope we stay ahead of it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Exposed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not quite as radiant as the shots Rachael took from near here the other night.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Peregrinos. I’ve been a little surprised to see so many of them walking west this late in the season. It’s still a long ways to Santiago from here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view east from the high point of the ride.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith ClassenGreat landscape photos!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Still dry, dropping from the modest high point of the ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dropping toward Cañas and a gloomy sky.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Last photo for the ride. In another mile it will start showering again and the camera will get zip locked away for the duration.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It’s just turning two when we arrive at our destination, take our turns shuttling our bikes up to our third floor apartment in the sufficient but slow and small elevator, and let ourselves in to our unit using the keypad combo we’ve been assigned.

We take a minute to marvel at the spacious place we’ll be spending the next two nights - it’s obviously the best place we’ve stayed in so far - and then quickly change clothes and head out again, back across the river to the restaurant we’ve picked out for lunch where we enjoy another fine, reasonably priced meal.  I have lentil soup with chorizo as a starter followed by pork cheeks and chips, and Rachael starts off with potatoes Rioja style followed by a huge slab of salmon.  That, together with dessert, bread rolls, water and a full bottle of Tempranillo sets us back 36€.  I can’t believe it’s taken us all this time to start taking lunch as our main meal in Spain, because it works so much better than waiting until the ungodly last hour restaurants reopen for dinner in Spain.  the fixed price menus available at lunchtime are cheaper, and it’s nice too that we aren’t the only diners for the first hour we’re there because normal folks don’t show up for dinner until nearly ten.  It helps that our days are so short and we can count on arriving at our destination in time.

Crossing the Najerilla on our way to lunch. Our apartment is on one side, and the old town is on the other.
Heart 6 Comment 0

It’s nearing four when we leave the restaurant.  Rachael heads back to the apartment by way of the grocery store, while I stay in the old town for a look around as long as I’m over here already.  Showers are just ending and skies are quickly clearing, and by the time I make it back to the room ninety minutes later they’re blue again - and from the forecast at least they’re destined to stay that way for the next two weeks straight.

At four the monastery opens for the afternoon so for 4€ I buy my way in and spend the next hour wandering around in amazement (photos to follow in separate post) and then head home myself.

Rains are just ending when we leave the restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
#197: Eurasian griffon vulture. One of three circling above the red cliffs behind town.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI always get vaguely nervous when vultures gather and wheel over *me* as I'm riding. What do they know about my future, that I don't?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We hang around our spacious, comfortable apartment until around 6:30 when Rachael decides there’s still time for a quick walk if she hurries.  She heads across the river to see how close she can get to those red cliffs, and comes back enthusiastic and committed to the idea that she wants to see more and will plan for a longer walk tomorrow.

And when I look at her photos and see the swarm of swallows or swifts swirling above the cliffs I wish I’d gone as well.  There’s still tomorrow night though.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
marilyn swettLooks a lot like Arizona!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettYou’re right! It’s not something I noticed before.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenThe colours make me think of Roussilon. Just beautiful.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 17 miles, 800’; for the tour: 168 miles, 9,200’

____________________

2023 Bird List

     197. Eurasian griffon vulture 

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 490 miles (789 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Graham FinchI don't think you're a football (soccer) fan, but Spain play Scotland on Oct 12th and it might be nice to find a bar with a TV and soak it up. Have a beer for me if you do.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad you didn't get too wet! We walked the other direction of course, Nájera to Santo Domingo, and the Camino route was only 21 km.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOnly 21k? What kind of walk is that? I thought the peregrinos were tough!

And yes, we were glad we didn’t get wetter too, although we were never really worried about it. There were several villages along the way where we could have stopped and waited it out if it came to that.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchYou’re right. No one played soccer in America when I was growing up, so I didn’t learn the game then and don’t really understand much more than the obvious. I’ll make a note of it though. I imagine it will be an interesting scene in the bar.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Janice BranhamThese shortish mile days that set you up for a leisurely afternoon lunch seem like the way to go. We're looking at an average in the low 30s for our fall tour. That's all the adventure I need.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamI’m really starting to warm to this model. For the travel days especially it’s really nice.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago