In Tarazona - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2023

In Tarazona

A quick post, a photo dump really except for the fact that it includes photos from Rachael’s late afternoon hike up to a nearby pond or reservoir in the hills.  An admittedly low-energy post, something to do while I wake up from a nap and wait out the hottest hours of the afternoon.  Many of the photos are from my visit to the Tarazona Cathedral.  Wikipedia gives us its usual thorough description of the church’s characteristics and history, so I’ll just point out the fact that it’s  a blend of its origins as a French gothic cathedral begun in 1232, and a reconstruction with Mudéjar elements after it was destroyed in the 14th century in the War of the Two Peters, which I assume folks are well familiar with.

The cathedral was recently restored in a major project lasting almost three decades and completed in 2012; so it’s in excellent condition and well worth a visit.  If your experience is like mine, for 5€ (the discounted senior rate) you’ll have the place to yourself.  I was inside for about a half hour until someone else showed up and I couldn’t handle the crowds any more.

Tarazona is split by the channelized Quieles River, with the historical walled city above and the lower city on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0



The old bull ring.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Church of Saint Francis of Assisi.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Many nests, no storks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A balcony I liked.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The French gothic cathedral, showing its many Mudéjar features from its reconstruction.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Its portal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Details from the portal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 3
Keith AdamsThe two on the right look surprised somehow. Perhaps the flash from your camera caught them off guard?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThey do have that look, don’t they? Or they look like a comedy act, something Monty Python might put on.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott Anderson"NOBODY expects the Spani...." Oh heck, you already went there.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Photos from Rachael’s hike:

In the upper town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back across the lower town, with a nice view of the cathedral and bull ring.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cormorants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Embalse de Santa Ana.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Late in the day.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathleen ClassenWhat long legs you have! I love this photo.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Returning to town along Rua Alta, the main thoroughfare through the Jewish quarter.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0