Colegiata de Santa Maria la Mayor - Falling Through Spain - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2023

Colegiata de Santa Maria la Mayor

So we’ve got a serious problem here.  There’s just too much to see here in Calatayud, and the next stop, Daroca, will surprise us by being even more dramatic.  We’re going to post some photo dumps here or we’ll never catch up.

So here’s one - photos from my visit to Santa Maria, the church here in Calatayud that’s included on the world heritage list.  I’ve not made into many religious structures in this one, but it was a good choice.  I was there right when it opened for the evening at five, so I had the church pretty much to myself at first and when I climbed the 150 stairs to the top of the tower, the tallest one in Calatayud.

The Mudéjar tower, the largest one in town. 150 steps to the lookout platform at the top.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The portal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonNice statue of St Roch, lower tier middle. Recently Steve Grampy featured one of him, too.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh, you’re right - there’s the dog and the leg! I noted that exchange with Steve it’s interest. It actually never occurred to me to try to recognize who those folks are up there. I’m better with the Greek and Roman gods.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Xx

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up the tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Like clockworks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Deafening if you’re here at the wrong time.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0