The road is calling our names - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2021

The road is calling our names

St George to Kanab

We had another travel day today - a short trek to Kanab where we made reservations at an RV park. It would have been nice to just stay put at the Elks but we would have lost a lot of money cancelling at this time. Plus we have an Amazon order being shipped to the new RV park.

Since it was less than 2 hours to make our drive, we took our time packing up things. By the time we reached Kanab, it was after 2 pm. 

We're staying at a campground called the Dark Sky RV park. It's out in the middle of the desert - no trees anywhere and gravel sites. At least we have full hookups, good wi-fi, laundry and showers. The site is nice - they provide a metal table under a sun shade plus a propane fire pit. There is a community gathering patio.

But I'm not too sure about this place. They have way too many rules - no extra lights so you can see the stars is just one of them. No kids running around unsupervised, etc.

The managers/owners came over to welcome us but I wasn't too impressed when she came up to Don to shake his hand! NO, NO, NO - that was inappropriate! I stayed behind the truck to keep my distance.

They told us about the amenities and said there was a social tomorrow night on the patio - free wine, beer, water, ice cream, I think snacks too. In the morning there would be free range eggs.

I told her, maybe not for us - we don't socialize with others right now. I asked her if she'd ever heard of COVID??!!! She looked at me like I had 2 heads! Guess not, then. Typical.

During the drive over, we had decided to go back to the Elks tonight and dance. They have live music and even though it will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to drive, it will be worth it. Crazy, I know!! 

We hooked up quickly and then got cleaned up for the dance. Since Don wanted to take a detour through Zion NP, we had to leave by 4:30 so I just threw some protein bars and snacks in the truck for dinner.

The drive along Highway 9 into Zion was stunning! Maybe not the equal of hoodoos at Bryce, but still very scenic. We went through 2 tunnels and I can see why they don't allow cyclists in the second one. It was very long - you couldn't see the end - as it twisted around through the mountain for over a mile. 

Out the other side you had many switchbacks that took you down to the valley floor. I wouldn't care to even bike that part as traffic was awful and there was no shoulder. Maybe in the winter when it was an off-season? 

They don't even allow trailers/RV's through this tunnel without an escort- I think they hold up traffic to one lane so you can drive your RV through the tunnel. 

Exiting into Springdale was a nightmare with tons of tourists and traffic everywhere. I wouldn't feel comfortable biking through here although I understand there is a bike path somewhere.

We continued on to Hurricane where we found a HUGE hill we would have to bike up if we wanted to bike to Springdale from our RV park in Hurricane. Hmmmm - maybe not. We'll see when we get to that campground in a few days since we both would like to bike in the park.

By 7 we had made it back to the Elks. The lodge was very busy because it was steak night. We found a table as far away from everyone as we could. No one was wearing masks except for us. 

The band was ok - 6 musicians that played a lot of faster rock 70's music at first. So we did lots of EC swing but later did manage to dance some other dances. No tango or foxtrot, however!

The dance floor was full most of the time with most people just wiggling around, not doing any specific dance. You should have seen them trying to dance to a Cowboy Cha Cha . In Denver we dance that as a couple's line dance with everyone facing the same direction. Not here - everyone was dancing all over the place. 

We did manage to do some decent dancing tonight especially when lots of people left as it got later. It was great to dance to live music again. We even received several compliments on our dancing! 

By 9 we were ready to call it a night. We had had fun and if we'd been camping in their parking lot, would have stayed longer. But we had a long drive ahead of us. That was tiring but we made it back home in one piece by 11 pm. A late night for us!

It's an Airstream convention ! Here is our site at the Dark Sky RV park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views in Zion NP
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of Zion
Heart 0 Comment 0
And even more!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the St George Elks, it was steak night. The golfers were here, along with people attending the Senior Games. With the live band, it was quite busy as you can see. The larger dance floor is in the room at the back of picture. We sat in the bar so we didn't have to share a table with anyone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0