Hit the road Jack - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2021

Hit the road Jack

Bookin' it to the Beehive state

Last night as I was walking back from the dumpster, I saw a little boy standing in the driveway. He was maybe 3-4 years old and had been in the playground. I heard him cry out plaintively "where's home?" as he looked at all the RV's stretched out in front of him. I felt so sorry for him! That poor boy. If I'd known where he needed to go, I would have helped him but his older sister was nearby and they got home safely. I could imagine being at an all Airstream rally and feeling the same way!

It was another travel day for us as we were continuing our journey south. We were on the road by 10 am but had to first make a quick stop at the certified scales at a nearby truck stop. Don was concerned about some of the weight in the truck, so had been shifting our gear around and adjusting our hitch. 

We've used these 'CAT scales' several times and he's found them very beneficial in making sure we don't exceed the truck's tow weight. He was happy today as the results were good. So we hopped onto the interstate and headed toward Utah. I was happy to be getting out that Covid nightmare in Idaho, and hoped that Utah had better positivity and vaccination rates.

It was a long 5 hour drive and we were disappointed that it was so hazy out with smoke from the wildfires still burning out west. The mountains had some nice fall color climbing up the sides, but it was difficult to make out. 

The interstate was busy and we passed the time talking about potential watercraft that we might try. We're leaning toward a canoe that has a mount for a battery motor. At one rest stop we saw a Mad River Canoe that one trailer was carrying. Does anyone know anything about this brand? I researched a bit on my phone as we drove and they could be a possibility. 

There are some stores in Denver that carry them so maybe we can do some shopping when we get home. Bottom line, though, we don't want to put any money out until we can test something out on the water and maybe talk to some people that have canoes or even tandem rigid kayaks. There are so many different types and brands to consider!

By 3 we reached the KOA in Springville and checked into our site. It looked ok, and was at least paved,  flat and long enough to put out our dance floor. Although the spaces were close together, at least we had our own grass/table section. Although the picnic table is a weird half size. It looks like it was sawed in half! I think we're in the Airstream section as there is one next to us and another across the drive! 

It took us another 2 hours to set up camp which is so tiring and hot as it was in the 80's. Don finally ran out steam and collapsed outside in a chair with a glass of wine. Just another day of fun for team Tango!

Do you remember all those wild apples I had picked when we were near Lake Coeur D'Alene? These were the ones that didn't seem ripe so I had put them in a paper bag to store them for awhile. That didn't seem to help ripen them up so you could eat them raw, but I found this great recipe for grilled apples. We cored them and put Splenda brown sugar, oats, ground nuts, apple pie spice and butter in the middle. Then cooked them on our grill. They turned out wonderful! Great just as a desert or cut up on top of my morning oatmeal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought these large patty pan squash at the Jerome farmer's market. The yellow one was good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also found these golden raspberries!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along with this Portuguese hard cheese. We were looking for Idaho cheese but no one was selling any.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was able to buy a 1/2 dozen free range eggs from another booth. I boiled them up for salads or snacks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are honey crisp apples that we also found. They were so cheap - about 60 cents a pound! Sure beat the prices in the grocery stores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kelly IniguezAre you going to visit Utah Trikes while you are in the area? You are RIGHT THERE!

My aunt and uncle live in Payson . . . small world.

In Paonia, we saw a fruit stand selling organic Fuji applies for $1.49, that was an excellent price for honey crisps.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettNo, we didn't plan to visit that store. We've got other more important things to take care of like getting our furnace repaired and replacing my camera. When it rains, it pours!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago