A hell of a place to lose a cow - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2021

A hell of a place to lose a cow

Bryce Canyon loop

This is part of the great trail that runs all the way from near the intersection of Highways 12 and 89 and into Bryce Canyon NP.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Boy, I sure had a rude awakening this morning when I did my early morning run to the bathhouse! The door was locked!!! WHAT??!! This bathroom has 2 toilets, 2 sinks and 2 showers so there was absolutely no reason to have locked door at 5 am.

I could hear the shower running inside so I banged on the door. The lady showering said to just hold on, she would be done in a minute. I called out that I just needed to use the toilet NOW!! 

She eventually came to the door and unlocked it, saying that she didn't want anyone else in there when she was taking a shower! There was absolutely no reason to lock the door since there was ample space in each shower cubicle to change clothes behind the curtain.  I bit my tongue but wanted to say, "you could put on a mask, like the rest of us, you blah, blah, blah inconsiderate blah, blah"! Sheesh!

Back at camp, we did our usual morning routine while waiting for it to warm up a bit. Since we're at a higher elevation here, it's colder out overall.

But around mid-morning, it also started to feel much colder inside the trailer and the temperature dropped into the 60's. It appeared as if our furnace wasn't working once again. For crying out loud, here we go again!

Don went outside and unscrewed the panel over the motor to see what was going on. He said there was a little piece of fuzz/dust on the switch which he cleaned off. 

Once he restarted it, the furnace began working perfectly again. In checking on-line with discussion groups, it seemed like some of these switches can be ultra-sensitive to any lint or dust and stop working. He's going to try to find another switch somewhere and replace this one. But at least this time it didn't stop working during the night!

By noon, Don said to get my bike stuff ready as it wasn't going to warm up anymore than maybe 60 degrees. I put on lots of warm layers as it was only in the 50's and cloudy. 

Today we decided to ride east to the entrance to the national park and into the park a short way to check out the views. Our campground is right on the bike trail which makes it very convenient to ride without being on the highway. 

It was a few miles uphill to our turnoff to the park where we had to negotiate the traffic around the busy motel/restaurant/tourist shops in Bryce City and Ruby's Inn. 

Back on the trail, we continued climbing toward the park which was a few more miles away. I had my senior parks pass in my pocket, in case we needed it to enter the park. But the trail circled around the entrance kiosk and we never actually were where the cars went. 

The trail wound around through the pines and it was very pleasant riding. While there were a few remaining wildflowers, I wanted to see the hoodoos! 

We had been watching the dark clouds building for the past hour or so but didn't know if we would get any rain or not. It's been difficult getting an accurate forecast for this area. 

We made it as far as the general store where we could access the rim trail to get some views of one area of the canyon. Don walked the bike along the trail for a short distance while I took picture after picture. It would have been nice to have blue skies and sun to highlight the rocks, but we had to make do today. 

While we wanted to continue deeper into the park, we didn't trust the clouds, so this was our turn around point. Although we did bike over to another overlook on the way back down. 

And it was DOWN!! as we swooped around the turns on the twisty trail. Don was having fun leaning Garfield into the corners. WHEEEE! But I told him to keep an eye out for loose sand or other debris as it could cause us to crash which wouldn't feel good! 

It didn't take long to get back to camp where we congratulated ourselves on getting in a good ride with lots of climbing and not getting rained on. In fact, the sun came out later which made for a nice evening. 

But the forecast we did find said we had a better chance of rain tomorrow so who knows if we'll get in a ride.

The Bryce Canyon airport building is a historic structure that was a WPA project, built between 1936 and 1937. It was constructed of ponderosa pine logs. It is one the oldest remaining airports still operating in the US.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here they are - those amazing hoodoos! The canyon takes its name from Ebenezer Bryce, an early rancher who grazed his cattle in the amphitheaters of Bryce. He was the one who stated it was "a hell of a place to lose a cow"! You could get lost yourself just walking among the rock spires.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good on you - National Park Service!! But just around the corner from this sign I saw a discarded surgical mask on the ground. We used to see just cans and bottles thrown on the ground, but now masks are pretty common.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More hoodoos
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 598 miles (962 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauHi Marilyn,

I saw another RV named "Tango" recently. I took a picture but I can't post it here. After much thinking, I figured out another way. I posted it on my Cycle365 blog. Here's the link:
http://cycle365.life/using-cycle365-in-an-unauthorized-and-somewhat-sneaky-way/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Gregory GarceauThanks for the picture Greg! I think this is a brand/model of trailer as I spotted another one while we were in Springville. Sure glad it's not an Airstream as the names are supposed to be registered and used only by one person.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago