Self supported along the Inn river - Tally Gals Bike Adventures - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2019

Self supported along the Inn river

Day One on our own, packed and loaded with everything on board!

Today was not Flat! We are no longer in holland, welcome to Bavaria and Austria.  18% grade down hill is no joke when you’re riding with all your gear and trying to keep the bike from running away from you. And going up was less fun..... we more than climbed the 12% grade of the 3 sisters multiple times and our bikes were fully loaded.

Some hills had bicycle steps to negotiate also. A little 1x6 running up a set of stairs for running the bikes up. We finally figured out that at least two people were needed to push and pull the bikes up the steps. A running start helps.

Pushing the bike UP the bicycle stairs with all the gear. It was a team project!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hmmmm... is there a better way to do this???
Heart 3 Comment 0

The surface was hard packed small gravel or paved surface except for the wooden steps.

We saw delightful fields of very bright yellow flowers. We’d like to know what they are.  We rode almost all day with the river on our right going south along the Inn. We had lunch in Scharding a lovely town with a beautiful market square. Searched in vain for a cafe with no smoking so we shopped in the grocery store and picnicked on the square. 

We rode along fields of bright yellow and also saw more brilliant yellow patches in the distance on hilltops. Anyone know what it is?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Sandy OsteenCanola or wild mustard
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The tor through which we entered Scharding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Inn
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mary DuganThis is such a creative idea... decorating floating boats with flora.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Looking across the Inn later
Heart 4 Comment 0
We saw this wonderful park along the trail. This is only one small section. The park is designed to improve motor skills.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Lynn WalkerNeed a few of these in Tallahassee!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mary DuganYes! Every community could benefit from adult playgrounds like this... and kids would certainly have fun, too.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Of course we had to try it out...
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our picnic spot in Scharding. You couldn’t get much more beautiful surroundings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ready to move on
Heart 1 Comment 2
Susan JamesDid you buy your panniers when you purchased the bikes?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane FletcherTo Susan JamesThe bikes came with panniers but the ones we got were very well used so some of us purchased panniers in amsterdam. I’m so glad you are finding the blog helpful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We were pleasantly surprised that there were public restrooms or porta potties near most towns. Watch out when using the porta pottie near the farmers field or you might fall into the stinging nettles. We are clearly here before the season as a number of things are not yet open.

This spot was deserted but it looks like in the summer it is probably a lively place.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to Oberhausen on our first fully self contained day! Hurray!!! Of course we had to go up a giant hill to get here.....  and we aren’t even near the alps yet....

The view from our windows
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 19 miles (31 km)
Total: 1,447 miles (2,329 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 7
brenda bairdYou girls are my amazing hero's. I admire ya'll so much. Stay strong always.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sandy OsteenFinally working off the pastries you had to eat to use the facilities in Amsterdam. Looks like a lot of work, but also fun. A real sense of accomplishment. Well done!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Joanna Southerland sYou are most awesome!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marcia MealeTeam work and persistent.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marcia MealeTo Sandy OsteenTrue and we’ve even found free public WC’s water closets toilets along the trail.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marcia MealeTo brenda bairdThank you we are hanging in there.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Lynn WalkerJane Mann Ada Claire Mason (Quincy, FL) lives in Vienna, Austria with her husband.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago