To Calpe - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2024

To Calpe

Can there be many better feelings than getting your health back?  I’m sure, but this certainly ranks up near the top.

Our apartment has the unusually early checkout time of 9:30, so we get an early start of it and are done with the scrambled eggs and coffee by eight and starting to work our way toward departure.  As much as we’ve liked our stay in Dénia, we’re both ready to move on from this apartment.  It does have a lot going for it, now that we’ve mastered the front door to the building - it’s spacious, it has a bedroom with a closeable door and a killer view, it’s got good WiFi and a washing machine, it’s in a good central location.  What’s not to like in this picture?

Sugar ants, that’s what.  We don’t like seeing a cascade of sugar ants running down the wall to whatever attraction we’ve left out, as we found the first morning we woke up here.  We tightened up our act, started keeping anything at all attractive - even such potentially tempting garbage as cheese rinds - in the refrigerator, but there’s no stopping ants.  They’re so tenatious and indomitable that you have to admire them, but we don’t really care for living with them and are ready to move on.

It’s just as well we’re forced into an early start because we’ve got a challenging ride ahead.  It’s not particularly long, but it begins with the most significant climb either one of us has tackled in months - a steady 5-8% for three miles as we lift ourselves over the shoulder of Montgo Massif before dropping down into the next coastal town to the south, Xàbia.

We’re both feeling apprehensive about this climb.  Rachael’s unsure about her balance still, and we both wonder whether our unconditioned legs are up to the climb.  We’d better be fine with it though, and with the days to come - we don’t want to try your patience further by finding it’s all too much for us and coming up with a new new new plan so soon.

So the good news is that the climb is just fine.  We keep a steady pace, don’t let ourselves get annoyed or discouraged by all the faster and unladen bikers overtaking us and disappearing around the next bend, and don’t stop for photos or a breather because there’s never a safe place for one - on the entire way up there’s no pullout where you can stop and admire the view back toward Dénia until we’re at the summit, and there’s unfortunately no decent view at the top because we’re in the trees.

But we get it done, we’re both pleased with ourselves and feel fine, and it’s all worth it because the descent down the south side of the peninsula to Xàbia is phenomenal.

Video sound track: Here Comes the Sun, by the Beatles

Here comes the sun! It’s alright, it’s alright.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We finally bottom out, and after rattling down the rough, brickish route I’ve picked for us through Xàbia we find ourselves on a flat road with spots to stop and look around at our phenomenal surroundings.

Looking back up at the south face of Montgo Massif, in the direction we just descended from.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The view east along the southern side of the peninsula were biking around. I’m not sure, but that farthest formation might be the rock at Calpe, our end point for today.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Another look back at Montgo. Its quite amazing from this perspective, looking like a near-perfect pyramid.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Xàbia, enjoying riding a quiet lane for awhile before we merge back onto the main coast road.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The climb we’ve just conquered is the main show for the day, but not the only one.  Ahead are another thousand feet of climbing in a series of rollers, with most of the ride on the narrow two lane coastal road with a little too much traffic for its somewhat too narrow shoulder to be fully enjoyable.  The traffic is very well behaved and patient though, slowing down and waiting for us whenever visibility is limited, not taking chances by zipping around us before the next curve because they know there’s a good chance that they’ll come up against an oncoming car crowding into our lane for exactly the same reason.

Because in spite of the road conditions, we’re on a biking superhighway.  We’re passed by bikes constantly, coming at or overtaking us in ones and two and tens.  And they’re all faster than us because they’re all unladen by as much baggage and as many years as we’re carrying. 

Video sound track: Giant Steps, by John Coltrane

Finally we’re past the last of these rollers and our destination comes into view - Penyal d’Ifac, the stupefyingly large limestone formation that defines Calpe.  It’s stunning seeing it from its eastern face, and we pull off to a viewpoint to take it all in.  It will be even more visually astonishing when we cross to the other side and see its sheer western face rising straight up a thousand feet into the sky.

Penyal d’Ifac comes into view around the bend ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd, in your video before this photo, a Citroen parked in a lot..;)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Almost two thousand years ago the Phoenicians had a name for this rock, one of the most prominent on the southern Spanish coast. They called it the North Rock, to distinguish it from the South Rock further down the coast: Gibraltar.
Heart 5 Comment 0

And then in another mile we arrive at the eastern half of Calpe, the half on this side of the Big Rock.  We slowly bike down its colorfully tiled waterfront promenade, weaving around walkers and other bikers while taking in the views on one side and the restaurants on the other.  It’s just turning one when we double back to the first open restaurant we passed, park our bikes, and step inside for lunch.  They’re just opening up for lunch and we’re their first customers of the day, so we’re given the best seat in the house.

Let’s eat here!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always nice to get a table with a bit of a view.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Well, yum!
Heart 4 Comment 0

And here, let’s interrupt the narrative to tell you how we’ve come to stay in Calpe for two nights.  We’d never heard of the place before - it’s small enough that you have to zoom in some just to see it’s name on the map - until Rich Frasier let us know that he and Robin went down here for part of the winter recently.  Once it was brought to my attention, the appeal was obvious.  Thanks, Rich!

After lunch, we call up our host because we still haven’t received the access code for our apartment for some reason.  It’s a relief when we get through and are given the code and other information, after which we bike another two and a half miles along the waterfront to our neighborhood over on the western edge of town.  The code works, there’s a ramp to the front door and our room is on the ground floor, so access is a snap.

It’s a small, wedge-shaped apartment; a little cramped, but gives us all we need for our two night stay.  One bike fits in along the back wall of the bathroom, and the other gets wedged by the wall along the foot of the bed.

Pretty tight quarters. Efficient but sufficient.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We hang out in the room for a couple of hours and then go outside again in the late afternoon.  We start by heading directly to the nearest gelateria that Rachael’s located for us to pick up cones with pistachio.  Then we walk down to the waterfront and grab a bench in the sun to enjoy our scoops and marvel at the view.  What a place!

After that we set a time to meet up again back here and then split up.  Rachael’s not so fond of walking on the sand, so she hikes a ways along a the path atop the cliffs while I walk west on the beach until I come into the shade beneath the cliffs and turn back.  The day couldn’t be any finer than it is - warm, sunny, completely still.  Ideal in every way.

Penyal d’Ifal is unreal. You almost can’t look away.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Let’s see now. What looks like more fun: staring at your cellphone, or exploring the beach?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Exploring the beach.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Peek-a-boo!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Goodness, that’s amazing. We’re so lucky to be here on such a calm day.
Heart 9 Comment 3
Bob KoreisRemove all of the development and that rock looks like the location of a villain's operation in a Bond movie.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob KoreisHuh. I wonder where that would have been? I read up on the Bond filming locations and didn’t see anything along this part of the coast.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Bob KoreisTo Scott AndersonOoops. I meant not that it was, but that I could imagine it being one. The top of that rock could open up to expose a missile, laser, or some other weapon a villain could use to threaten world governments.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Let’s see, what looks like more fun: doing your homework, or staring at that amazing rock?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Staring at that amazing rock.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Hey, stranger!
Heart 3 Comment 0
All in all, a pretty perfect day.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretQuite a lifeguard tower :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 161 miles (259 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Susan CarpenterWhat a wonderful ride and destination to celebrate your newfound health. Your joy is palpable - so happy for you and Rachael.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Anne MathersI can almost see the ear to ear smiles on your faces as you coasted down to Xabia. It’s wonderful to hear and see you are both doing much better and you have that first big climb under your belts. To top it off, it’s fun to see the video as you followed the exact route I have plotted for us when we get to Cape (reverse direction). Enjoy Calpe.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Anne MathersIt’s a pretty wonderful feeling, alright. I think this ride would be just as great in the other direction. The views are memorable in both direction.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago