In Zafra: Day 2 - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2024

In Zafra: Day 2

We’re staying in an apartment unit in Hotel La Muralla, a place built into the historical walls of the city and directl adjacent to one of the historic arched gates that looks and sounded like it would be neater than we experienced.  On the plus side, when we first checked into our room and looked out the window we saw a stork just across the intersection atop a small church.  

Who doesn’t like a room with a stork view!
Heart 7 Comment 0

Also on the plus side, it’s an apartment that advertises a washing machine.  We’re due for a cleaning, so Rachael plans to do the wash this morning and then let it dry while she takes another walk into the nearby hills.  And, we were surprised to see that our rate includes breakfast; so even though we’ve got an apartment for two nights Rachael didn’t bother going to the store for breakfast fixings when we arrived.  Also, there’s good, safe, free ground level storage for the bikes in the garage.  Also, even though it’s only a two level hotel there’s an elevator, which my knees will appreciate since our apartment’s on the second (aka first) floor.  Also, the hotel features a restaurant serving lunch and dinner, and since it seems like a nice enough place we decide we’ll just have lunch here because it’s convenient.

On the negative side, the unit doesn’t actually include the advertised washer.  And, the breakfast is at best meager and not really worth going downstairs for except for the coffee.  So Rachael takes her walk in the morning and ties up the afternoon with a trip to the laundromat a fifteen minutes walk away, and stop in at a supermarket while the cycle is running.  

Also on the negative side, they don’t seem to really do lunch after all.  There’s no menu out or offered when we inquire, though I’m pretty sure we could have gotten drinks and a snack of some sort - so we walk into town and have a very nice meal at a real restaurant.

Also on the negative side, the elevator is shall we say unique.  On its door is this sign, which we translate before using it the first time: 

DEAR CUSTOMER:PLEASE DO NOT LEAN ON THE ELEVATOR DOOR, WHILE IT IS IN OPERATION, AS THERE IS A DANGER OF BLOCKING.THANKS A LOT HOTEL LA MURALLA
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took note of this the first time we rode up, and positioned ourselves well away from the walls and door.  We forgot this warning later though, when I noticed for the first time that the cage doesn’t actually have a door that you could lean on,  It’s a three walled box, with the door side totally open so you can reach out and touch the wall as we slowly inch our way up (it’s a very slow elevator, of course) - which I did naturally, reaching out and touching it lightly with my index finger out of curiosity.

Curiosity didn’t kill the cat this time fortunately, but it nearly got Team Anderson trapped between floors on the elevator because it lurched to a stop the instant I touched the wall.  Startling!  We reactivated the elevator and proceeded up again, but naturally I touched the wall a second time to see if it’s a repeatable experiment because that’s just the kind of guy I am.  It instantly stopped again.  Very wierd - there must be some sort of electric eye or force field instead of an actual door that detects when something has penetrated the plane and stops the elevator.  Unique!

This time though, it didn’t start up again.  I endured my partners barbs for several seconds while we made repeated tries to start it up again, and fortunately it finally began moving again.  It never made it quite to the top though, stopping about a half foot short.  Fortunately it was close enough that we could open the door and step up and out - saving the day and perhaps the marriage.

I could have gone for a ride today, but nothing sounded better than walking in those dazzling hills again, admiring the flowers and hoping to see another new bird or two.  I won’t say more since I’m behind already, so we’ll just show the pics and call it a day.

Rachael took her own walk too of course and has a good set of photos to show from both walks, which I trust she’ll do when she gets around to it.

News flash!  Rachael whipped together a slideshow from her two walks, and it’s here:

Through the Arco del Cudo, the gate right next to our hotel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Zafra is a white town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Candaleria Church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The portal to Candaleria Church. I’m always perplexed by door knockers that are eight or ten feet above the ground though. Aren’t short people welcome?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesMaybe for people arriving on horseback?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOh! Interesting theory.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Here’s where we stayed in Zafra when we were here ten years ago, in the heart of the town on the Plaza de España. On the first floor of a virtual museum piece, we enjoyed ringside seats on all the action. A wonderful evening, one that still stands out in our memories.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Santa Catalina Monastery, founded in 1500.
Heart 3 Comment 0
More whiteness on the way out of town.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bob KoreisThose bollards warm my heart. Protecting us pedestrians, 24/7.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Elaborate window boxes. She must like storks too, from the looks of it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More sheep.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This view again.
Heart 6 Comment 0
#193: Thekla’s lark? There’s admittedly some guesswork here, because this and the crested lark are so similar and hard to reliably distinguish. This one’s darker, the habitat is less open, the bill seems right, and they’re commonly seen here. Good enough for me.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some poppies.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTo Karen PoretOoh is right. It’s all quite amazing now. We’ve been through here in the autumn in the past, and it’s beautiful in a much different way.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Couldn’t decide so included them both.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd a few pinks here and there. This looks like a “Where’s Waldo” puzzle! FUN!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
#194: Common nightingale, a bird I never expected to see for some reason.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Same old town, different gate.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve would also touch the wall a second time, in the interests of scientific curiosity. Drives me crazy.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesRachael appreciated this comment immensely.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Karen PoretKids being kids!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago