In Osuna (a photo album) - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

April 7, 2024

In Osuna (a photo album)

Osuna is a largish place, a hill town with a population of 20,000 - almost large enough to feel like a small city.  The historical core though is small enough to be easily explorable by foot, with its fair share of interesting monuments.  As much as those though, what most impressed me was the street architecture, its narrow stone paved streets walled in by the by now familiar two storied row houses that characterize the towns around Seville, their windows invariably protected by wrought iron grids.  There’s an upgrade in quality here though, with the walls an almost blinding white and with many of the places near the center feeling like mansions.

I was also impressed by the public spaces - plazas facing the civic buildings and churches, or secluded spots isolated from the roads tucked away in the center of blocks.  

Our hotel, the Duke’s house. There are likely several of these in town, as the Duke of Osuna was a nobility title designated in 1562, with the succession still active. The title currently is held by Ángela María de Solís-Beaumont y Téllez-Girón, the 17th Duchess of Osuna.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our street, Granada. It took me awhile to realize why that song was running through my head again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crowning the hill is the ancient University of Osuna, established in 1549 and ‘suppressed’, whatever that means, in 1820.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Anne MathersIt has an interesting story. Seems it was shuttered for its lack of academic behaviour/accomplishments among its students, many of whom were extremely impoverished.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Anne MathersThanks for reading up on this, Anne. It was something I was thinking I’d do myself but then never got around to.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonTo Anne MathersInteresting but sad, to close it for those reasons when it could have been a great opportunity to lift young people out of poverty!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Another view of the ancient university.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Immediately below the university is the University Church, founded at the same time. It’s closed today, but its balcony offers a fine view across the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Church of Santo Domingo.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Torre de la Merced.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Monastery of the Incarnation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking down blindingly white Seville Street, the main route from the university to the Plaza Major.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Seville Street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A side alley off of Seville. Before I took this shot, a car was very slowly inching its way down, bouncing over its series of low risers.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith AdamsA simple misstep could turn you into a cartwheeling, tumbling mess in a hurry, couldn't it?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsParticularly a possibility if you suffer from bad knees.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
The Ajuntamiento, on the Plaza Major.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of the entry portals to the Plaza Major.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Plaza Major, with the collegiate church on the hill behind. The photographs are enlargements of the town’s Semana Santa pasos.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another side street off Seville - Cabrillo, I think.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There’s great variety in the iron grids and window screens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A few of these fine homes were open so you could peek into the interior.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Iglesias San Carlos el Real.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An entryway to Guadalupe Plaza, a small, secluded refuge hidden in the center of a block.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Guadalupe Plaza.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownThe draped balconies are a romantic touch.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Santo Domingo Plaza, and another look at the church we saw from above earlier.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Anne MathersLovely shots of the town, Scott. And it looks like the calima is finally dispersing. Thank goodness for that. Hope it’s tailwinds and blue skies for your ride to Seville.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago