In Merida (hike and hike/bike) - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2024

In Merida (hike and hike/bike)

We’ve got our first layover day in awhile, and are quite happy about it.  We have different plans for the day.  Rachael plans a modest 13+ mile hike, I’m taking my bike for a virtual hike down to the river to look for birds, and Susan and the Gibson Kertesz team have their own plans for the day that they can fill you in on at some point.

First though, breakfast.  The other three plan an excursion to a nearby coffee shop, but we’re eating in the room.  Rachael’s been looking forward to two days of scrambled egg breakfasts but unfortunately the dozen in the fridge froze last night.  Rachael hard boiled half of them for this morning, but we tossed the other half the next day because we didn’t trust them after they’d thawed out.

Rachael, as you know by now, knows what to do with a day off when she has one available: take a 13+ mile hike, of course.  Today she took an out and back to the Proserpina Reservoir, the water source that originally fed the Proserpina aquaduct we saw last night.

Heart 0 Comment 3
Keith AdamsThere's a problem with this one. When I click "View full version" RWGPS returns a 404 error....
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsOh, rats. I must have destroyed it somehow. The original’s gone and I doubt if we could recreated anything meaningful,, so I’ll probably leave it like this.
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonIf your Garmins are also recording your rides you might find a copy on the Garmin Connect website, under the "Activities" section. You can import that version back into RWGPS, if you're bound and determined to have a copy there.

I've used that tactic successfully a few times, and it's one reason that I try to have both RWGPS and my Garmin recording a ride- I'm never entirely certain whether one or the other will fail on me so it's always good to have a backup plan. Sometimes they both crap out, though, in which case I'll post my planned route as an alternative to having nothing at all.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago

I wasn’t quite as ambitious, which probably won’t surprise you either.  I only went eight miles, and by bike - a modest amount of exercise that easily meets the team’s technical definition of a rest day.  They were a terrific eight miles though, spent getting a better look at the bridge and then slowly cruising through the riverside parks looking for birds.  I found some - four new species for the year, of which two are lifers for me.  I expected to eventually see the first grey heron and grey lag goose of the year, but I was thrilled by the brilliant golden oriole and striking little penduline tit.

And, it was an excellent birding day over all, with 28 different species.*

Merida’s Roman bridge: built almost two millennia ago, and the longest surviving bridge from the ancient world.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Such a special bridge merits more than one look.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The old bridge and the new.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNice perspective trick...
Reply to this comment
2 days ago
A better look at that new bridge: the Lusitania, built in 1991 on a design by Santiago Calatrava. The bridge takes its name from the fact that Emerita Augusta (present day Merida) was the former capital of Lusitania, an ancient Roman province that encompassed most of Extramedura and Portugal.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Alpine swifts.
Heart 3 Comment 0
#207: Eurasian penduline tit
Heart 7 Comment 0
Western pied flycatcher.
Heart 4 Comment 0
#208: Eurasian golden oriole
Heart 11 Comment 0
Western cattle egret, one of hundreds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Black crowned night heron, immature and adult.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Eurasian magpie.
Heart 6 Comment 0
#209: Greylag goose
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraAKA: Fois Gras...
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
#210: Grey heron
Heart 6 Comment 0
Off the scale cute.
Heart 13 Comment 3
Janice BranhamThat's a lot of mouths to feed.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

We were both back at our room with barely enough time to make it to our lunch date with our friends.  The meal and company were both excellent, but the news from the bike shop was glum.  They’re unable to obtain the necessary part and are unable to repair Janos’s bike.  It’s not clear yet what this means for the rest of the time we planned to be together, but Janos is done cycling until they return home and he gets it repaired there.  Very sad.

A good meal, excellent company, but some unhappy news.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Karen PoretRachael’s look appears to say “hurry up and take the photo so I can eat this salad”, which she seems to be really ready to dig into! :)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Scott AndersonTo Karen PoretYes, that’s exactly right. She’s ways impatient with food photos.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Janice BranhamSorry Janos's bike is out of commission. We invest so much of our bodies and psyche in touring. Whenever a mechanical problem pops up that I'm not sure we can fix, it feels like a potential nightmare scenario to me.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

____________

* Might as well remember them:  Eurasian blackbird, Eurasian coot, Eurasian penduline tit, Rock dove, Common wood pigeon, Eurasian collared dove, Jackdaw, Mallard, Little egret,Western cattle egret, Grey heron, Black crowned night heron, Barn swallow, Western house-martin, Alpine swift,Common swift, Graylag goose, House sparrow, Eurasian magpie, Glossy ibis, Eurasian golden oriole, Crested lark, European pied flycatcher, Common moorhen, White stork, Eurasian greenfinch, Great cormorant, Spotless starling.

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 945 miles (1,521 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0