Granada - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2022

Granada

We had a comfortable night at the nice hotel and I only woke up after eight o'clock this morning.  Tostadas with strawberry jam and freshly squeezed orange juice in the restaurant downstairs was a good enough breakfast to send us on our way soon after ten o'clock.

Wheat fields on the low hills before we reached flatter ground where vegetables were being farmed.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The first half of the route was very similar to the last twenty kilometers yesterday as we tracked the A-92 on the gravel service road alongside it.  Every now and then we passed through small towns and villages, most of them them neat and attractive.

Castillo Lachar in the village of Lachar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lot's of orange trees in the streets of the villages.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The route was mostly along the valley between two ranges of mountains and in place of the sheep and groves it was vegetables that were being farmed.  It seems that onions and asparagus have replaced olives and almonds and the aroma of onions hung in the air for much of the way.

Onions
Heart 3 Comment 0
Asparagus
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got a little bit lost in the larger town of Santa Fe and squandered a few minutes and added some extra distance to the day's ride.  But soon afterwards we had a pretty direct route into the city of Granada.

We have an apartment "near" to the Alhambra which is naturally the target for our visit to the city.  By "near" I mean a few hundred meters away as the crow flies but the booking office and entrance are a two kilometer walk away.  Our digs are on top of the hill opposite the hill on top of which the Alhambra sits so cycling there is not the most attractive option.   To add to the difficulties of cycling is the fact that our apartment is on the first floor (second floor to people on the other side of the Atlantic) so getting the bicycles into the apartment was hard work and we aren't inclined to take them out until we leave in a few day's time.

On settling into the apartment we both realised that we are feeling pretty tired.  Five consecutive days of cycling is something that hasn't happened for a few months and so we are looking forward to an easy evening.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 179 km (111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0