Goujounac to Puy-l'Évêque - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2019

Goujounac to Puy-l'Évêque

A dry delightful ride to the Lot River

It had rained a bit more overnight but there were just heavy clouds when we got out of  bed. We were in no rush to head off  on the road and enjoyed breakfast with our host Steve. We had great French press coffee,  Jenny's homemade granola with yogurt and of course croissants with jam. If you are every in Goujounac, not too likely I know, stay at Grange du St. Valentin.

After breakfast Steve showed Scott the barn renovation that he is completing on a building attached to his house. It is a full gut job so significant work is involved. He has redone the roof and beams as well as replaced the second level floor. You can pick up one of these wonderful old, slightly dilapidated, full of character buildings for around 35k euros. Steve took Scott out into the village and showed him a couple of buildings that were for sale.  He would not recommend taking on a barn conversion project but Scott thinks it would be great fun. Do not ask what Pat thinks!

Today we are riding to Puy-l'Évêque which could be just over 10kms from Goujounac or over 40km with a routing going southwest toward Fumel and then  a ride along the Lot River from there. As the weather looked fairly dry we opted for the longer scenic route.

Au revoir Charlie. He led us out of town at a full run and we left him as we picked up speed down a hill at the edge of Goujounac.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The skies at the start of our ride looked a bit concerning but it never did rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view across the vines to a village on the hill. A nice off piste ride today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
An old bridge crossing the Thèze River which feeds into the Lot. We can now see that the Lot just beyond is also a very large impressive river on a similar scale to the Dordogne. We spoke to two young people fishing here. No fish today but they showed us pictures of previous catches. Big fish but they were not edible.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A sight Pat loves to see; a well marked cycle path. This one looks like it will take us all the way to Cahors - the rest of today's and tomorrow's rides. Today's part was often paved single lane but, to keep things interesting, also included some unpaved solid surface old railway bed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wonderful old single lane suspension bridge. Pat can barely be seen riding across but that was just for fun as our route did not require crossing this gem.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here we are.... the Lot. Another very beautiful river. The water is silty looking but really moves along at a good clip. Today we passed two small hydro electric stations.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old unpaved railbed right beside the Lot. Almost tunnel like with tree canopy overhead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This bridge we did cross to the south side of the river. We were disappointed that the Chocolaterie on the far side was closed as it was Sunday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a great ride and Pat thoroughly enjoyed it. But it was Sunday and we had been warned that almost everything in Puy-l'Évêque would be closed. On our way into town we found a place that would serve us dinner after 7pm but we had to eat power bars for lunch today. 

Puy-l'Évêque
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arriving at Puy-l'Évêque, another medieval village. Historically, it was the largest port on the Lot.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We found our way to our B&B - The Presbytere. A lovely building and even nicer hosts. After settling in and letting the odd passing shower blow through, we went out and  explored Puy-l'Évêque before having dinner at one of the few open restaurants.

The Presbytere where we are staying the night. Previously it was the home of the church priest but as the congregation dwindled the house was left empty. Our hosts from Northern England bought it three years ago and turned it into a remarkable B&B.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from our deck at the Presbytere in Puy-l'Évêque. A bit cool today on the deck but it would be beautiful on a sunny day.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Puy-l'Évêque has alot of history and  character but it is not a tidied up touristy sort of place. The buildings and alleys are a bit ragged and it looks like many shops are ferme for good - not just because it is Sunday.  There are several plaques on walls describing the history of a building or an artifact but overall, the town is very quiet. We are the only ones staying at our B&B but it is early season. We did enjoy our walk and experience in the town.

Puy-l'Évêque' Marie (town hall) attached to an original defense tower. Not much remains of the original fortifications.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A boy escaping from his girl friend's bedroom when her father appears at the door. That was our take!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cat in the window and interesting old walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After dinner, crossing the bridge back into town. The Lot River on a calm evening.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 322 km (200 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0