Tues Nov 13 - The Robinson Pass - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Tues Nov 13 - The Robinson Pass

Today we left Oudtshoorn in the Klein Karoo and headed back to the coast over the Robinson Pass.  The total distance was 76km with 3400ft of climbing.  The climb was about 35km in length averaging 4% with some sections of 7-8% on chip sealed roads.  The big challenge was a pretty strong head wind.  I rode with Oliver and Stefanie today and Oliver pulled us in the wind for a very long time.  Despite drafting there were times the best we could manage only 7kph even on flat terrain.  I am very thankful for his help.  Once on top at the 860m point we had a wonderful downhill but still into the wind to Mossel Bay.  The temperature when we started at 9AM was already 26 and climbing but once over the pass it cooled down.  Along the route we saw a pair of bonteboks  that have come back from the brink of extinction and are unique to this region.  We also saw a tortoise trying to cross the highway so one of our crew rescued it and took it across the road.  This evening while waiting to go to dinner we saw whales breaching just down from our hotel.  It has been a great day.

One last handsome male ostrich. They are truly inquisitive creature despite a very small brain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rod to Robinson Pass up in the clouds ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bonteboks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the road ahead to Mossel Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the summit.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWay to go girlfriend!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Our lunch stop for pizza.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The leopard tortoise trying to cross the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Team Oli. Me, Oliver who did all of the work in the wind and his wife Stephanie.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooks a good guy to draft behind, tall with broad shoulders.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
A still from the video Tim captured of the breaching whale.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 242 km (150 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0