A wonderful ride to our favourite bakery - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2019

A wonderful ride to our favourite bakery

During the winter on Saltspring Island we dream about returning to Garcia's Bakery for their delicious cakes and coffee. Cora keeps these dreams alive over the winter with her regular photos on What'sApp of the cakes they are enjoying that day. Today we are going to ride to Garcia's. It is truly one of the better bakeries we have found in our travels.

 The weather has been amazing. Today the forecast is for 23 Celsius. Lovely riding weather! 

It is a beautiful Easter Sunday morning and the five of us will ride through the Westerwald countryside for an Easter treat. Pictured are Cora, Georg and Clara.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Georg speeding up the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were intrigued by this unique church as it is so different from the traditional style historic churches that we see in the region. Georg explained to me that this church, Kapelle St. Johannes Der Tauer, was built in 1957 and reflects the movement at the time of building small chapels in villages in a new, unique style.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Reitz family enjoying a ride together, but make no mistake, they are on a mission to have some cake.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The forest is quite beautiful in the spring with its carpet of wildflowers.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetSo different from the forests in coastal BC!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettYes indeed. And as we proceed through the Baltic countries, we will see a different type of forest again. Don’t you love that about travel?
You must be getting excited about your quickly approaching trip to France. We have loved it there and wish you good travels, few punctures and the wind at your back!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Georg with his selection from the bakery. Now, where's the coffee?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen's choice is a cake with the unique combination of meringue, gooseberries, vanilla cream, cake and a sliver of chocolate. Delicious. The large cafe creme pairs nicely.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry is enjoying a chocolate and white cake with apples, caramel buttercream, whipped cream and a candied almond wafer on top. Oh boy...
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my goodness, that looks WONDERFUL!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
One of the display cases at Garcia's.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThese are all great looking tortes. Garcia's is the Demel of Westerburg!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Barry BartlettIndeed!
So sorry to hear about your crisis that forced an early end to your travels. That is something we all know can happen, but hope it doesn’t.
Hope you are both ok. Will be thinking of you.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
No caption needed here - chocolate speaks for itself.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltYES!!! Chocolate is the BEST!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
After leaving Garcia's, our route began with a 11 km rail trail.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This unusual house stands out in the countryside. It seems that it is part of a castle in the background.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We enjoy the views of the villages in the valley as we ride the rolling hills of the Westerwald.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yes, we know it is juvenile to be amused by this sign...and we know what the sign means. Nonetheless, it always gives us a smile. "Good journey. Farewell from Heuchelheim."
Heart 3 Comment 0
The rape fields are a vision of vibrant yellow.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI LOVED seeing the HUGE beautiful yellow fields of rapeseed! It was like biking through the Land of Oz! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Cora made her mom’s favourite recipe for Easter brunch: Ostpreussische Schusterpastete (East Prussian Shoemaker Pie). We will also have beet salad and German beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bacon fresh from the butcher -did I mention how tasty and meaty the bacon is?
Heart 2 Comment 0
A fine Easter meal with good friends. Thanks to Cora for her fine cooking and to Lotte for the recipe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clearly the casserole was very popular. It is so delicious with rich flavours and aromatic, tasty juices.The casserole is made by starting with a layer of seared beef steak and then layering onions, sliced potatoes, sliced German pickles, a sour cream topping and large slices of bacon on top. The only seasonings are salt and pepper which prove the idea that the key to good food is in using good quality, fresh ingredients.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's quite the casserole!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 92 km (57 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0