Cold Turkey - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2018

Cold Turkey

The main drug given for pain at the hospital was one called Dilaudid. It's a brand name for hydromorphone, which is a narcotic. Dodie was sent home from hospital with a prescription for the stuff. And yes, it seemed to help, if only by knocking Dodie out enough to make her insensible to the pain. 

But at the meeting with the surgeon, the new instruction was to discontinue Dilaudid and another - Lyrica, and sub in the less potent Tramadol. We thought we had that at home, but it turned out not. That caused a delay in getting going with the new stuff. But we got it half right, and discontinued the Dilaudid and Lyrica. The result (good guess!) - pain.  But there was something else, withdrawal.  Sweating, nausea, anxiety.

This was the background for the next day trying to do the exercises that had been set by the hurried, pushy physio. With pain and withdrawal, I would have to say it did not go well! Dodie had the good idea of trying to see or measure progress, to have some feedback from the movements. But somehow my brilliant ideas, involving a builders' square, masking tape, magic marker, did not find favour. In general, the whole thing ended in tears.

We decided professional help was needed, but not the hospital physio lady, and sooner than later. So I made a trip to our local private physio clinic. I explained the need for gentle assistance from someone able to understand Dodie's goals and limitations.  They highly recommended one of their staff, and a same day appointment was made.

The physio session that came of this was much different from the hospital one. After carefully listening to the history, including the Netherlands car crash and a much earlier fall from a roof, Jessica, the physio, made a careful study of the whole body, and then focussed not so much on the right knee, but the right ankle. The ankle bone  is connected to the knee bone, as we know from the old Dry Bones song.

Jessica manipulated the foot and ankle, getting Dodie to report the effect in pain at the knee.  She generally seemed attuned to all tension, tightness, and pain in the leg. She recommended only a very gentle attempt at the hospital exercises and declared the objective of reducing the base level of pain, the level before the knee is asked to do whatever "acrobatics" are in the hospital's book. It seemed to make sense. We'll visit her again Monday and see how it goes.

The hospital's exercises seem innocuous, unless you are starting from too high a level of baseline pain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Meanwhile the withdrawal symptoms seem to be lessening. This recovery does seem to be lurching to and fro quite a bit. But slowly, it may be making progress.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltYay! You got a PT that did not graduate in the bottom of their class!

And good on quitting the narcotics... They are really bad news.

The first 2 weeks are the worst, according to friends I know who have had replacements. It won't feel "good" for quite a long time after that, so don't despair! It will be far better, and you will be really glad it is done.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesDon't know where in the class she was, but she does have a Masters in PT.

Don't know why, but I was just thinking of the Black Knight in Monty Python. Now that guy could really cope with injury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInkxbvlCs
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceThose drugs can be so nasty! I can't deal with Tramadol - made me so sick I had to call my doctor two days after getting home from ankle surgery. She told me to just take double doses of ibuprophin for a few days until it settled down which worked well for me. You are doing great, the two of you! And the best part is that you will have this all figured out for the next round, so the post surgery bit then will be a piece of cake! Glad you found a good physio to help you - someone who knows their stuff is worth their weight in gold!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sue PriceWith the shoulder injury from the car in Florida, they gave me Vicodin. But like you, it made me sick. I wanted to just throw it in the garbage, but we waited to find a pharmacy that could take and dispose of it.

We are coming to think that Dodie has two distinct pain sites - the top of the knee, which is the incision site, and the muscle underneath the knee at the top of the calf (gastrocnemius) , which may be an older problem, triggered by the surgery. She is now icing underneath too, where the makers of the ice cuff never figured they had to put cold. This is not only helping, but making me think or hope that the second one may be easier.

I think now that the Dilaudid withdrawal is over, making Dodie a lot more able to cope with the exercises. And you are right, the thought of Jessica the perceptive and gentle PT in the background is a big help.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago