Day 41: When 2 nights are really only 1 - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2014

Day 41: When 2 nights are really only 1

Well, we made it! Not that there was really any doubt, but still...

We were going to stay 2 nights, but I'm a moron. I booked space at the hostel, in January no less, for 2 nights. Except what I really booked was 2 rooms for 1 night by mistake, which makes me a moron because the hostel is right near Fisherman's Wharf, and really popular because its a bargain compared to hotels in the area, and they didn't have any space for a second night. So much for booking early. I checked hotels in the area but even dumps were almost $200 so we just decided to leave.

But we saw most of what we wanted to see. China Town, which looked like it's main purpose was to sell cheap crap from, you know, China. We rode the cable cars. We walked down Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world, with the hundreds of other tourists who were deposited at the top by their tour buses. We rode across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito, then took the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. And we walked around a bit. We didn't see Alcatraz because the tours were booked for weeks ahead of time, but we did steam by it on the ferries.


It seems really weird that the trip is over. More so for Leo, who has been on the road since May. But even I feel as though I got of the train in Newton Kansas a year ago. It's strange how bike trips are like that. I think it's because so much happens each day that one day can feel like a week?


Anyway, after we saw all there is to see we got on the ferry to Vallejo and headed home. So, I'm pretty much done but Leo still has a long train ride to look forward to...

Proof that Leo made it to San Fran
Heart 1 Comment 0
First view of The Golden Gate from the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
This family (plus the mom on a tandem with another kid) rode down the pacific coast. Cool!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I gotta get me a helmet like that
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
China Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lombard Street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lombard Street. The Crookedest street in the world, so they say. I'm not sure I believe them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leo, gazing at Alcatraz, The Big House; wondering how things might have been different if he had been caught stealing the Dairy Milk Bar when he was 6 years old...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots a bikes on the ferry from Sausalito to the city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 2,523 miles (4,060 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0