Day 26 and 27: Its not a procession. Its a parade! - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2014

Day 26 and 27: Its not a procession. Its a parade!

"It's not a procession, it's a parade," I explained.

Leo you know about, but Terry is from New Zealand and was also under the impression that a parade is called a procession.

Terry rolled in from the west, to the Escalante Outfitters, where were staying, late last night. So in the morning we had a fine time trading tall tales and important findings. And Terry had a good one...

"Between Milford and Baker, Nevada (the longest stretch of desert, over 80 miles, with nothing but scrub, sand and wind) there is water at the abandon house with the tree west of the Wah Wah Pass."

Well, you might not think that "the abandon house with the tree" is too precise. But you may remember that I have been in that area, and there ain't anything that fits that description for 40 miles in either direction. I remember the place from my cross-country trip.

"There is running water to the tree. I cooked with it but I think it's fine to drink without filtering. I camped there. There is a gate but just a thin wire holding the gate shut."

It was all useful information and we stored it away before we parted ways; Terry east and Leo and I west, to the town of Tropic, where we where told there were fireworks, and where we would be in position to ride to Bryce Canyon the next day.

Leo and Terry at Escalante Outfitters
Thanks for the tip, Terry!
Heart 0 Comment 0

"...but when we got to the RV park in Tropic we were told, "there are no fireworks in town, because of fire hazards, but they are having them at Bryce Canyon."

The disappointment in our faces must have shown because the RV park owner added,

"...but Bryce Canyon is only 15 miles from here."

I hate when people say that when I'm bike touring.

Anyway, we didn't get to do anything 4th of July like, but we had a really nice day in Bryce Canyon.

Leo has been a little "desert, red-rocked out" but he was really pleased with Bryce Canyon so I am glad we took the time. It was beautiful, and though I would have preferred that it not rain at all, the rainstorm made the canyon beautiful and a little more unusual.

And before the trip I kept telling him that there are all kinds of foreigners he can yammer with in this area and Bryce Canyon is like the United Nations.

"There really ARE a lot of Europeans here," he confirmed.

Tomorrow we head to Panguich for a short day. Until then...

Leo between Escalante and Tropic
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bryce Canyon. Looking down on the town of Tropic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hoodoos at Bryce Canyon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cool tree trunk on the edge of the canyon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leo yammering with a Belgian family, in Dutch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like the weather is rolling in
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,457 miles (2,345 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0