The Day of the Cycling Frog: Canowindra to Wellington - The Reunion Ride - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2014

The Day of the Cycling Frog: Canowindra to Wellington

Today had to be an earlier start than the previous two days because to reach the most suitable next town was going to be a 130 km ride. By 6am we were away. By 6.30 am we were fixing punctures!

The puncture blitz is really starting to get annoying. In only three days we have had about a dozen punctures. Between us we have five different types of tyre. All but one type has succumbed to thorns. The Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, the Conti 4 season, the Conti Tour Contact and the Compass Boise have all flatted at least twice.
Only the heavyweight Schwalbe Marathon Plus on John's front wheel has resisted the cathead thorns.

Despite the number of punctures, we were making good time. The weather was brilliant, the roads were excellent and the traffic was fairly light.

By day's end we had ridden 130 km, reached Wellington and were about half-way to Tamworth.

Accommodation for the night was a basic cabin at the Wellington Riverview caravan park.

The photos show how the day unfolded beautifully...

Grand old homestead on a hill near Canowindra
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canowindra is a centre for hot-air ballooning. This one entertained me while I was fixing a puncture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Lachlan Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's ride is brought to you by the colours red and yellow. The Thorn Audax Mk 3 on its inaugural tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rustic and rusty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not far from Molong in the Central West of NSW. Mixed farming country with cropping and grazing. Another perfect weather day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scrap metal yard shed decoration at Molong
Heart 0 Comment 0
About now I was glad I wasn't a fly...
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a wide-mouthed, panting, cycling frog cycling sans headwear
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beef cattle pretending to be water buffalo
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 133 km (83 miles)
Total: 354 km (220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0