Crossing The Great Dividing Range: Gulgong to Merriwa - The Reunion Ride - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2014

Crossing The Great Dividing Range: Gulgong to Merriwa

Today's ride was a mixed bag of road conditions.

The early start was on a quiet road which became busier near the Ulan mine. After the mine it became quiet again.

We officially left the central west and crossed into the catchment of the Hunter River. This will be a temporary arrangement as tomorrow we will ride over the Liverpool Range from where the water flows thousands of kilometres into the vast Murray-Darling catchment which ends in South Australia. On this side of the range, the water has a far shorter journey down the Hunter River to Newcastle and the Pacific Ocean.

The riding was pleasantly assisted by a tailwind over rolling hills for the final third of the day after a side trip to the hamlet of Cassilis.

We called it quits for the day at Merriwa, a small pleasant town with a few cafes and a good pub for cycle-tourists looking for budget accommodation.

I love the smell of high explosives and coal dust in the morning. No show today though. Only the sound of birds twittering.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Open cut coal-mining ... not a pretty sight. The Hunter Valley used to be a beautiful valley. No longer. Sad to see so much of it destroyed for short-term gain..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ulan mine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tin roofed church near Ulan
Heart 0 Comment 0
At this crossing, it's not great, it's not a range, and it's not dividing but I'm over it.Tomorrow's crossing will be over the Liverpool Range which will be a real hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's official...I'm in the Hunter River Valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upper Hunter Valley scenery. We'll need to cross the range in the far distance because the school reunion is on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Cassilis. This was a short side-trip on the way to Merriwa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little house on the prairie. It is called "Wyoming".
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is to amuse British readers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the Liverpool Range in the far distance which we will cross by a backroad to avoid the highway.An alternative route is to swing further west and go around it via Coolah and Premer.I'd prefer the grand view from the top of the range.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Merriwa outskirts. Nice to get a downhill at the end of the day's ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our pub accommodation in Merriwa
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hut information centre
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 114 km (71 miles)
Total: 541 km (336 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0