Bergen to Salzburg - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2018

Bergen to Salzburg

Down comes the rain and we cut and run.

August 30 Thursday 11 kms

Bergen to Salzburg 

Down comes the rain and we cut and run.

We wake to the unmistakable sound of rain cascading down onto our tent. We have been expecting this as it was forecast. The drop in temperature is a little hard to handle after days of sunshine though. Nevertheless we find an overhang outside the sanitaire and pack our bags and tent and load up our bikes. Following breakfast we leave in heavy rain. Before long it’s clear that any hopes of making Salzburg comfortably and on time are unlikely.

Come on rain- do your worst!
Heart 0 Comment 0

At this point a sign ‘Banhof’ appears on a post before us. We take it indeed, as a sign, and follow it to a station. Here we find our German neighbour from the campground who has also decided to decamp home to Stuttgart to fetch the family car. She kindly helps us buy our tickets just before the train’s arrival and for once, the cycle carriage stops directly in front of us.

There’s nothing like that feeling of being ensconced in a warm railway carriage along with fellow travellers, hurtling towards one’s destination, completely in the hands of others. Slightly abashed at having thrown in the towel, we rationalise that Munich to Salzburg was an add on and the Alpe Adria is the real deal.

The trip to Salzburg is ridiculously quick and we are there in under 45 minutes. Our hostel allows us early check in and before long we are enjoying a hot cup of tea in their well appointed communal kitchen.

Later a walk into the city along a swollen and fast flowing river Salzach, provides proof that the city still has appeal despite the cool weather and the vast numbers of tourists. Guides are doing great business, especially with Asian tourists whose selfie sticks are working overtime. An Italian family with two daughters cannot manipulate their one and ask me to take their photo in front of Mozart’s house. I oblige and they tell us they’re from Puglia.

Not necessarily one of our favourite things.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Salzach looking rather high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our 1977 trip to Greece, when Ann was four months pregnant, we stopped off here and we both recall cooking new potatoes on our small gas stove in the back of our Ford Escort van. We consider repeating the experience, but cannot find the potatoes and so rice has to suffice. We visit the Dom and take note of possible visits for the next day before hunting down a supermarket.

Salzburg Dom - 17th century and not overly baroque.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mozart and plastic ducks. Is there a connection?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 3,584 km (2,226 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0