Orleans to Briare - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2016

Orleans to Briare

Gregorian chants and other chance.

July 3 Sunday 84kms

Orleans to Briare.

Away by 7am in light morning air, out of Orleans, strangely quiet at this hour. We take care to avoid getting caught in the tram tracks.

Early exit on empty streets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Out of the city we pedal through more leisure areas of wilderness and river activities. Make good time, so a coffee stop in Chateauneuf  Sur Loire is  ideal. We appreciate French manners as the proprietor shakes our hands on arrival and everyone is greeted. The local boulangerie is busy. The breads more varied,  brown and crusty. Our ” far aux prunneaux” is delicious.       

Far out! Far aux prunneux.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A quick gaze at the 8th century mosaic on the dome of the chapel at Germingny Des Pres. The Benoit Abbaye bells are tolling as we arrive. The Benedictine monks sing the Gregorian Mass at 11am. We attend, along with a sizeable congregation, but the large  church would have seen hundreds in past days. The organ sound is impressive.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Benoit Abbaye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Sully Sur Loire, we find a picnic spot. An  Australian family we have passed on the trail are there and the children are  coping with their 72 km day, having a break playing footy.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Noticed quite a few cats prowling in the wheat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sully sur Loire.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We cross the river, passing the chateau and the floral decoration surrounds, and take the road to Gien instead of the track to St Florient. Michael breaks a spoke but manages bike with slight wheel wobble.  We push on to Briare, a pretty canal port, arriving after crossing an iron canal bridge. ( Eiffel had a part in its design.)

The canal crossing the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old iron bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Before Gien we stop to help a cyclist from Luxembourg who has a puncture. He rapidly uses our pliers to remove his wheel and change the tube. 

Gien with its sandy shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dining out at camping Briare.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Another  market dinner, from Orleans, of chicken, rice and salad which was still cool with its thawing bottle of frozen water.  We sleep well, tired after 84kms.

 

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 970 km (602 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0