All you need is a good friend and a full tank - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2022

All you need is a good friend and a full tank

Naples to Winter Garden, FL

Well, it was time to leave our Gulf paradise and head to central Florida. It didn't take long to finish our packing and by 8 ish we were on the road north. 

Don decided to take some back roads rather than the interstate which made for a slightly longer drive but much more interesting. We passed through many little towns, cattle ranches that were many times smaller than out in our part of the country, citrus groves, and fields filled with tomatoes and strawberries. I heard later that Florida supplies over 70% of our winter strawberries. Who knew?!

Our route was geared toward avoiding a toll road near Orlando which meant we wound around on lots of country roads. But we sure got a surprise when we reached the Winter Garden area. Hills! BIG hills and ridges! 

Wow!  I knew that central Florida had rolling hills south of Orlando but wan't aware that this area had even higher ones. This will make for some interesting biking! But we've been pretty spoiled with flat riding that past few weeks so guess it's time to get our climbing legs tuned up.

It was early afternoon when we arrived at our camp for the next week - the Stage Stop RV Park. It's an older park that has many modular park models along with traveling RV's. 

But we were both pleased with our site which is at the end of one section. There is a park model on one side of us and only a small road on the other. Lots of space which is nice after the last crowded KOA. 

We spent the rest of the afternoon getting set up which wore us both out. Don had wanted to go over to the Elk's lodge to check out the dance floor after our dinner, but we were too tired to do that today and decided to do that another time.

I liked the license plate on this mini-bike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well, you sure don't see this every day! It was at a rest area off the interstate. The rail car was from the Seminole Gulf Railway which is a short line freight and passenger excursion railroad headquartered in Fort Myers. They operate holiday excursions as well as a murder mystery dinner train. We wondered where this older car was going?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0