Turkey Summary: And the results of the Reader Participation Vote - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2014

Turkey Summary: And the results of the Reader Participation Vote

Another view of our house as we cycled back down the valley
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the morning we got up at first light, which happened to be five am, and left before anyone could discover us. Kieran and Natasha didn't seem terribly used to getting up that early but it was okay because it was actually seven am in Georgia. We cycled down the valley and through the town where a few dogs barked and chased us a little, and some men shouted at us, "Chai?, Chai?" We ignored them both equally. There's only so much tea you can drink.

Several tunnels later and we were at the border. This was the end of Turkey. I couldn't believe it was over already. It really felt like only yesterday that I had arrived from Bulgaria and already I was leaving. Yet at the same time it felt as if I had been in Turkey forever. So much had happened; from the big cities of Istanbul and Ankara, the incredible and varied scenery, lovely dogs, a few bad ones, those crazy few days with Hanna, the amazing Cappadocia, the incredible hospitality everywhere, a night in an all-girl's boarding school and, if I'm honest, more tea than I would have liked. Turkey had exceeded all my expectations, a wonderful country that I could not recommend highly enough.

TURKEY SUMMARY:

Time: Seven weeks

Distance: 2,075 kilometres

Glasses of tea consumed: 247

Glasses of tea paid for by someone else: 246

Best bits: The scenery and the kindness of the people

Worst bits: One very tough day

Top tip: If you can't find your blunt pocketknife then a useful alternative for spreading chocolate spread onto sandwiches is a tire lever

Goodbye dear Turkey, goodbye
Heart 5 Comment 0

p.s.

One more thing, before we leave Turkey, I'd like to announce the results of the 'Imagination Valley' competition where I asked you to vote on what your imagination imagined this rock to look like:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Well the votes are in and have been independently verified and I can now reveal that the winner of Reader Participation Imagination Valley Factor is...




































...
















(this is a pause for dramatic effect)

























...the scene from Jaws when the shark jumps out of the water at the boat!

With 20% of the public vote, this option had more than double the number of voters than any of the other options. Congratulations to it although I suspect it owes some of its popularity to the fact that it was the first option available and many of you may have simply been too bored to read any further. I'm impressed you've read this far actually, what with all the scrolling I just made you do.

But what of the competition for you to come up with your own ideas? I hear you cry! Wasn't there a prize on offer? Of course, of course, and I'll honour that, even though almost none of you came up with anything. Also, nine of you chose the 'Other - please specify on guestbook' option but only six of you actually managed to specify on guestbook. I assume the other three must have got too bored on the way to my guestbook and/or forgot what they thought it was.

Anyway, we need a winner. Two of the suggestions I'm ruling out completely for being genitalia, which I think says rather too much about the minds of people reading my blog. I'll give an honourable mention to the time trials helmet, but the winner is...
























This:

The angle is different, but the shape and colour is unmistakably the same. Your rock also lacks the lettuce leaf and red chili.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm giving the prize to Peter Jacobsen for his suggestion of a pig's tongue marinated in soy sauce. It's not a very good suggestion, but the comment about the lettuce leaf and chilli made me laugh. Well done Peter, the winning prize is on its way to you as we speak. No need to tell me your address, I've taken a guess.

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 15,030 km (9,334 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0