Week 87: to Muang Mai: Goodbye Vietnam, Good morning Laos - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2016

Week 87: to Muang Mai: Goodbye Vietnam, Good morning Laos

"It's a bit more hot and humid on this side" Patrick says. We've navigated the border crossing and heading downhill to Muang Mai.

We start out early, today with a border crossing you never know how long that might take. Just out of the town and before the start of the climb, two cyclists catch up with us. Joseph and Katie from England are at the beginning of a year long tour. They are cycling across Asia exploring two social issues: sustainable energy, and education of women and children, more about them on their website, http://gearing-up.com/ We all take a food break together at the top of the first part of the climb, before a short downhill and up a second part to 1200 meters after starting at 500 meters.

Just before the summit, is the Vietnam Border post. We arrived just at 11am and the office is locked and no one around. We figure it is their lunch break. So we wait, uncertain for how long. Katie and Joseph arrive and we all wait together. Joseph works on his wheel. Three Laos cars, the first one with flashing lights, arrives and they all jump out of their cars, into the building with a all important flourish, they too have to wait. Finally after two hours, there's movement inside, and Rachel is first in line for the Vietnamese Exit Stamp.

There is a short climb up through "no man's land" where there is a monument and "Welcome to Lao" sign...a perfect photo op. A little further was the Laos Border Post. First task is filling in arrival cards and paying $35US each for a Visa, the next window paying 20,000kip ($2.50) each for the Tourist fund and finally at the next window to have our passports and visa stamped for entry, another 10,000kip each. And we are on our way with a 12km downhill on a good road surface, the final stretch was undulating.

Entering the small village of Muang Mai, we spot an ATM but unfortunately doesn't accept our card. At the border we received Laos Kip in exchange for our Vietnamese Dong, so we have enough for now and tomorrow in the bigger town of Muang Khua, there should be an ATM. We spot a sign for Riverside Guesthouse, also named Khangha Guesthouse. Patrick checks it out and for 80,000 kip ($10US) we have a decent room. Joseph and Katie arrive later while we are eating noodle soup. On the way into town, they spotted a hotel and a sign for a guesthouse up a hill. They left to check those out, later we meet up for a Lao Beer and more noodle soup.

Traditional wooden houses built on stilts. The ducks are having free reign over the flooded rice fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joseph and Katie from England catch up with us just before the climb to the border starts. They are on an extended tour from Hanoi through SE Asia and then across Burma to India and Nepal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rice paddies besides a river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shrine. The fake American dollar bill seems to bring good luck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loaded mopeds on their way to the border. A lot of goods are making their way across in this manner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the border monument in no-mans land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 24,977 km (15,511 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0