Week 29: South Luangwa National Park: Two days safari and transfer to Lusaka - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2015

Week 29: South Luangwa National Park: Two days safari and transfer to Lusaka

Today we leave Malawi for South Luangwa National Park, Zambia. The safari tour includes the all day drive to the park, then two days of safari in the morning and evening. Also on the tour is a father and daughter from Wisconsin. The father is visiting the daughter who is a Peace Corp Volunteer in Malawi. We have arranged to be dropped off in Chipata at the end of the tour, so we take our bikes and gear with us to the park.

The border crossing was delayed when the father had overstayed his visa. This took awhile to sort out but then we were on our way again. For lunch, we stopped at the backpackers place, Mama Rusa's just outside Chipata and two kms off the main road. Looks like a very nice place to stay, though for cyclists sometimes it's nice to be closer to town. We arrive at the camp late afternoon. We pass by cotton fields and a big China-africa cotton factory.

Kiboko tours rents a space from the Track and Trails camp that is next to Marula Camp. We had use of their facilities which includes a pool! Our meals are wonderful with lunches of soup and quiche, and dinners of shephard's pie, beef stew, and spaghetti. There is a night watchman that chases away the hippos and monkeys, and provides an escort to the toilet after dark. An excellent company for tours of this park!

Rather than dropping us off in Chipata, the tour guide has arranged for us to catch the 3am bus to Lusaka from the town near the park, Mfuwe. We had cyc,led this stretch in 1994. We arrive in Lusaka 12 hours later.

We let the two pages of photos tell the story of the safari. Enjoy.

Loading our bikes and gear on the roof on the Kiboko safaris landrover. They will drive us from Lilongwe to South Luangwa in Zambia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elephants around the swimming pool at our South Luangwa camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our safari tent. To our right we have a view over the Luangwa River. Elephants, hippo and monkeys frequent the camp. We are told to keep our door closed because of the monkeys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunrise over the Luangwa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is our first safari in open sided vehicles. A little nervous at first when you are only 15 feet away from lions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is not much food in the park at the end of the dry season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parched landscape of South Luangwa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The giraffe have a height advantage when it comes to reaching food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hippos in the Luangwa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They huddle in territorial pods in the deepest sections of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two waterbuck going at it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What's left of a zebra killed last night by a pride of lions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hottest part of the day is spent at the poolside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elephants crossing the Luangwa River to find food outside the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old kudu buck with broken horn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over the Luangwa River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night drive. A spot light is used to find elusive night hunters like leopard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very nice baobab tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas is our guide and driver.
Heart 0 Comment 0
a two-headed zebra!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally spot a leopard close-up ten minutes before sunset on our last safari drive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hippos leave the water at night and walk great distances in search of food. There is not much to be had this time of year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This buffalo was brought down about an hour ago by the same pride of lions that killed the zebra two nights ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pride of lions has killed a cape buffalo. We arrive on scene about an hour after the kill and find nine lions feasting on the carcass. We are told the nose is very tasty and one of the first parts to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watch the feast from about 15 feet away in an open vehicle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 7,898 km (4,905 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0