to Puntarenas: crocodile river - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2017

to Puntarenas: crocodile river

"Look at the parrots" Patrick says. We see three pairs of parrots and a lone parrot take off flying together. Then the pairs peal off in different directions with the single one flying with one pair. A little way down the road, Patrick hears the squawking and gets a photo of a pair of parrots in a tree.

There were two brutal hills today, the first starting after 14 kms to Jaco. As we passed through Jaco, we saw a parking lot full cyclists getting ready to ride. It must be a Sunday and ciclovia time.

In between the two climbs we cross the "crocodile bridge". Well named, we stop along with other tourists to have a look, so many huge crocs! As we are about to set off, two cyclists pulling Bob trailers come across the bridge. So we all have a chat, exchanging information on routes. They are cycling Alaska to Ushuaia, then fly home to Australia.

The second hill is hot, after that we have a gradual downhill to the intersection with the highway between San Jose and Puntarenas. There is a toll booth but nobody tries to stop us as we zip by the barrier. At other on-ramps we see no-cyclists signs, but it doesn't seem to be enforced. We see a couple of racers and nearer to Puntarenas a large group of Sunday riders. The road gets back to the ocean at a large bay with a harbor. There is a bit of beach and people are swimming. We stop for some ice cream.

One more hill, then the turn-off for Puntarenas. The town is long and narrow on a spit of low laying land between the bay and a river estuary. It is the closest Beach town to San Jose and popular with Ticos on the weekends. It is not a pretty place though, fences, abandoned buildings and razorwire. Not a place to be out after dark.

The first budget hotel we check doesn't have the rooms cleaned yet. It looks okay and has a small pool, but no WiFi. We swing by another place that has been recommended by other cyclists expecting it is over our budget. But since it is off-season and the weekend crowd has departed she drops the price to 20,000C or about $35 for a nice room.

It is only a short walk to the beach where we find a nice seafood meal for dinner. This might be our last night near the Pacific Ocean.

We see several pairs of macaws fly over. These land in a nearby tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crocodiles galore at the "crocodile bridge".
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one has its mouth open to cool down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bank of the river. Do not swim here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These two crocodiles are huge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet two cyclists at the crocodile bridge. Ed and Gale are from Australia and are riding from Alaska to Ushuaia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A statue for unknown reasons. we like the Costa Rica hat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watch-out for men with spears!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cabinas Goosen in Puntarenas. It seemed over our budget on Booking.com, but they are willing to drop the price a bit on an off-season Sunday night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful houses in Puntarenas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful houses in Puntarenas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 32,667 km (20,286 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0